My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Rachel, so glad you're home and enjoying the guys, the dogs and all that makes up home for you.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Wonderful to hear that you're home!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Behave yourself! No overdoing - just enjoy being home.

4. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    Rachel,
    Fake not being able to get into the truck even when you are stronger and you can! LOL! And ask for help getting to bed or to the couch to rest. ;-D Please do rest. Remember they let you out early! And we would be glad to cheer you on if you had to go back but really we would rather not! Glad you are home. But FIVE GALLONS of eggs??? Oh my goodness! THAT is a lot of eggs! Start selling them to recover some $ for their feed.
    Blooie- Sorry for the heap of health issues going on now. It would be stressful for anyone. I will be praying for their health and a heap of help to come their way. May God's hand not release any of you until all are healthier. May Angels protect and the Holy Spirit pour out comfort to the girls.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Blooie, prayers for your family.

Yep, 5 gallons of eggs. I should have taken a pic. I have the happiest chickens, dogs and pigs you've ever seen!

Sugar Monkey and I had to have a little talk about collecting eggs today. Apparently, one of my bantam cochin hens has been broody for a week or so, and he didn't want to get pecked so he just left the eggs there. Yesterday, I told him to be sure to get ALL the eggs from the coop, so we'd know for sure all future eggs were fresh. Well, I cracked eggs for my egg sammich this am, and [​IMG] . It had only been a week, so not a ton of development, but still ick. Plus, I gave eggs to a friend yesterday so I had to call her and explain. Ick, ick, ick. On the good side, I have a broody [​IMG]. I just need to get some shavings to get the separate pen set up and I'll give her some eggs. I love broody hens!

Back to the bunny cake looking like an autopsy----was anyone else thinking "bleeding armadillo grooms cake"?

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I thought those broody hens got you into those troubles.
    Mine go broody, but there is nothing to hatch.

Most of the girls say, "Hey, I am busy here!" but will go get some food and water on urging.
    But there is one hen... my husband has to get the eggs when she goes broody, and then he wears a leather glove but she still finds flesh.
    I understand your son's reluctance.

I am glad you are home.

7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    "I can make anything....except snakes. Not enough counter space!" Oh, I LOVE that movie!

8. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    "Back to the bunny cake looking like an autopsy----was anyone else thinking "bleeding armadillo grooms cake"?"

Ummm, is that a southern or west coast thing? I have never heard of that! Photos, please....I think? [​IMG]

As to the breakfast egg, one time long ago my oldest son was peeling farm fresh eggs and making egg salad sandwiches to donate with our 4-H club and found one that was ever so slightly developed. He couldn't eat eggs for months! [​IMG] So I am with you! eww. It must have been funny and awkward to tell your friend. lol.

Blooie,
    How are all the girls doing? Any updates?

How is everyone else?
    On another note and not to hijack the thread... We have a huge 140 lb.Great Dane visiting us this weekend. She is like a butterfly spirit that was given a huge Dog body! The top of her head reaches 5' easily while her whole body takes up all of the space under my very large 8 person table. Totally funny to see her getting under my table! She is a complete city dog as demonstrated by the fact that she is afraid of the stairs. At home she uses an elevator. She is totally timid and docile dog who loves to play with my other lab x hound dog. She has been fun to get to know and care for.

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    It's actually a line from "Steel Magnolias" when Jackson's Aunt Fern made the groom's cake into the shape of an armadillo.

The girls are doing well. Ashley is still feeling pretty peppy between chemo treatments. Kendra is home, and although she doesn't sound much better she looks like she feels more like herself today. Jenny is still moving a little slowly and trying to figure out what she can eat without triggering another attack like she had in the hospital. So all in all, life at Oleo Acres is getting back to normal.

I love Great Danes, Irish Wolfhounds, and Dogue de Bordeaux. Those were some of our favorite patients at the clinic. Guess God forgot to tell them that they're big dogs....they have such gentle natures as a rule and don't use that brute size to hurt. Of course, I know there are always exceptions, but I've never seen any.

10. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    When I was little there was a film with Fred McMurray. It had dachshunds- and a Great Dane who thought he was a dachshund.
    All I could think while watching that movie was how mad my dad would get at that poor dog.
    My mother laughed, but I was horrified.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by