My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    Seminolewind,
    LOL! I will have to try that one sometime when I have a broody!
    Sourland, I think we may have been talking to the queen or the fairy godmother or maybe it was one and the same?

For a lighter book, Have you tried the Redwall series by Brian Jacques? Or for even lighter shorter reading "5 little monkeys"? [​IMG]

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    DD & I one time bought an olive egger & thought we would slip her right into the flock. DH rarely goes back there & certainly will not notice her, because she will just "blend in". It was perfect. I knew the breeder & had bought from her several times, so I felt ok skipping the quarantine period. This olive egger was much more cantankerous then anyone could imagine. It's like she was telling on me!!! She would jump the fence at free range time, run through the backyard by herself, head to the garden, eat tomatoes, squawk like a banshee, fight with the other hens, she was constantly drawing attention to herself. Needless to say, even though we had 80+ chickens then, he noticed. Now that hen just blends right in and you'd never notice....[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I love red wall. I think that way, except in my mind everyone gets along.

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Good morning all! Did we all go on strike yesterday? LOL! I didn't even get the memo, but somehow was not able to find computer time yesterday. Well, computer time for home. Had to use computer all day at work.

Rachel, Hope you are feeling well and have a wonderful day. It is rainy and hot here. Nasty, sticky weather. [​IMG] These days make us thankful for the central air! Have a great day.

5. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    No strike going on here! Funny, this morning DH and I were joking about the weekend is here and we are "off" work, lol. No such thing when animals are in the pictures but I remember that Saturday morning feeling of ahh, the weekend.

Just the usual here today with a short trip to town for a couple things. We went to town last night but the store that was supposed to stay open until 9:30 was already closed at 9:15. Guess they wanted to start their weekend early.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good morning, all. My life is a weekend, but that doesn't mean that I get to stop working. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I know what you mean sour. I'm retired and working harder than ever (and liking it a whole lot more).

8. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    Hi All! Rainy here right now. We seem to be changing from hot and humid to rainy season here. Really hot is supposed to start tomorrow. Second the thankfulness for AC.
    So about the pond thing...If it rains enough to fill one of those XL landscaping tree pots that could be turned into a water garden??? How do I prevent harboring mosquitoes? Do i need a pump? I have a fish pump and hang on the back filter. Just ruminating on this idea...
    Anyone heard from Rachel lately?? Or sailor Blooie?
    Need to go let the dogs out and see if my girl is the reason the chicks are chirping loudly. She loves those chicks!

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    It's been a couple days since Rachel was on...that was when all the ways to sneak chicks in was being laughed about.

No postcard from sailor Blooie, she must be having a blast. I can't remember if she said how long she was going to be away.

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Hello to Rachel and Friends. I hope you are all well. I've returned from Guatemala, but was and am still sick since Monday afternoon. Prior to that , I was privileged to participate in some awesome ministry projects.

I was able to visit one school and work with children, took a ride across the lake in a tiny little fishing boat to visit with the families of the children. Assisted a friend as she did a 4 hour ladies mini-retreat based on the story of Gideon, on the topic of trust. She's an excellent motivational speaker, and we had a wonderful translator. Incredible 3 hour Sunday worship service. Those people have so very little, and are on fire for God with their faith. The sermon was translated into English for us, music was up on video screen with a combination of Spanish and English praise songs. Even the Spanish was somewhat understandable. On Monday, we went to a work site where we worked on digging a hole for a septic tank for a worship center under construction. It was heavy clay soil. Dug out with pick axe, then tossed out of the hole by hand, loaded into wheelbarrows, and taken down plank runs to be dumped. Exhausting labor in 90* heat, very humid. Then, I was struck down by Montezuma, as were several team mates. I'm still sick, poking the pro-biotics, and yogurt into me. Met some wonderful people, both missionaries, and natives. Awesome and humbling experience. Will post pics to BYC or here, and record more after rested up. Awesome wild life, and a lot to say about observations about what an incredible God we have, right down to the details of how He is able to preserve genetic diversity through His engineering of dominant and recessive traits in spite of chickens running to and fro and cross breeding willy nilly.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by