My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Rachel, sounds as if you are in 'expansion mode'. [​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I saw this a while ago as a way of explaining 'chicken math'...looks about right to me!
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looks about right to me!

I always love it when someone asks me how many chickens I have. Uhh, well, you don't count the chicks, cause I'm going to sell them as soon as they're feathered. I don't count cockerels being grown out for the table cause they'll be gone as well. Don't count any current broodies cause you don't really see them at all---out of sight, out of mind. Don't count the roosters cause they don't lay eggs. Don't count any molting birds cause they don't lay eggs. My stock answer for years was "around 40"....which really means somewhere between 20 and 100, but we don't put an actual number on the flock cause my honey might have a stroke and not help me with incubating eggs anymore [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    LOL That's too funny. I count my chickens the same way - pretty much.

5. PinkyLee

PinkyLee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2014
    I will pray for you! There is hope. My brother is a leukemia survivor, he has been in remission for about 3 years. I gave him my stem cells which happened to be a 10/10 match. Unfortunately he suffers from graft-versus-host disease (GvHD). He has found a new doctor at the City of Hope in Los Angeles that might have found a way to slow it down. I just joined this site and so many people seem like family.... so I will pray for you. Pinky

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    My safe answer to the question, "how many chickens do have?" is one word - "some " Same with rabbits.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Same with dogs for me.

8. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I know a round about #. Our current round about # is 145. We have lost a few, had a few hatch, you know how it goes since the last count. I do know we have 9 rabbits. Only because they are in individual cages.

I loved the thankful posts. I am thankful for Jesus Christ my personal savior.

Here is a pic of my newest broody. She is a Black Jersey Giant. She is awesome!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    HOw is everyone? How are you doing Rachel? Anyone heard from our sailor gal? Anyone else traveling soon?

Outpost JWB - "I loved the thankful posts. I am thankful for Jesus Christ my personal savior."
    Second that!
    And she (your hen) looks so big and beautiful!

For us the count for chickens in the end has to be no more than 10. As for dogs, it is always 2 plus any Rover.com dogs have joined our family for their vacation! Now for guppies, they are another matter altogether! That is a "if you can count them, let me know how many" thing! Someday I hope to count chickens the way some of you all do!

Want another funny story? My DH is not always that observant. One time we brought home a batch of 12 day old, fluffy yellow chicks and put them in the 10 gallon aquarium in the dining room. A couple of weeks go by and 3 die. A couple of days go by and we go buy 5 more of a completely different breed, black and white in color and tiny in size- about 3 weeks apart size! They all go into the aquarium. The kids and I make bets that my dh will not notice and for how long. I said 3-4 weeks, my guys 2 weeks. About 3 weeks later my dh comes to me and says "How are the chicks? It seems like they are getting too big for that aquarium. Are there more chicks in there from last week?''. With a straight face I say "Yes, we need to put them into the 20. No, there aren't more chicks than last week". Finally 4 weeks later he comes to me and says ''I thought we had 9 chicks but we have 14! Did you buy more chicks!???'' At that point we all burst out laughing and confessed to the bet! He couldn't believe that he didn't really pick up on that one. [​IMG]

Another time we brought home 4 chicks from the county fair. We put them in the aquarium again and put them in my daughter's room which is directly across from our room. The bet was on again that he wouldn't notice! . Mind you my hallway is only 4 feet wide. Our bedroom doors face each other and the bathroom is in that hall. So every time he went down the hall, there was a good chance of hearing or seeing them! It took him 3 weeks to notice!!! My daughter was even holding them a few times when he went into her tiny 10x12' room!
    [​IMG] Needless to say we have teased him over the years about not paying attention to detail.

So how many chicks do we all have now? I guess 45... Any one care to guess and then we can all confess as to how many we have and do a total count.

1 person likes this.
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    hb--I did the add-a-chick thing, but I cheated cause I got more chicks of the same color. I had barred Hollands in the brooder and the Grange had cuckoo Marans--well, of course I had to get them! He didn't notice for weeks, not that I was really wanting him to [​IMG]

You know you're researching sex link crosses too much when you dream that your white Great Dane (silver female) and your tan mutt dog (gold male) had puppies and they were sex-linked [​IMG]. I was telling Sugar Monkey about my dream and he was all excited about the idea of sex linked puppies--until I reminded him puppies are pretty darn easy to sex just by taking a look....poor kid was so disappointed [​IMG]. He really thought he was on to something. Made me realize we've never had puppies, all our dogs have been fixed. Kittens, we've had kittens coming out our ears at times but no puppies.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by