My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    "EDIT: Dadgummit! This post was meant for Donrae in response to her shampoo post....don't know how I got her mixed up with Blooie....maybe I should go back to drinking coffee in the morning instead of beer.....
    Edited by 1FlewOver - "
    LOL. maybe a little of both in the same mug? Used to drink OJ to get me going now it is water. I don't know about anyone else but as I age, I am thankful for every hair that does NOT fall out when brushed!

Hot here. and hope to go out to get my Julia riding on her bike. Hope my heel holds up. But would be worth it if we keep moving forward!
    Have a great day everyone!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

3. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning Rachel and Team (minus Sailor Blooie of course),

How's everyone doing today?

[​IMG]

4. hbhoffman

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    It was a good day!
    My married dd stopped by to help her little sister ride her new bike and we talked for awhile. Talking that would not have happened 3 years ago! She turns 21 in 3 weeks. Amazing!
    My other special son worked hard for 6 hours today in a new friend's garden. What a blessing for all!
    My other son has a job he seems to like.
    And lastly my other dd went out to help in a local missions vbs.
    So Grateful.
    Rachel, how are your chicks? Ever figure out what they were?
    Did Blooie finally pack? And leave? ;-)
    How is everyone else? What is one thing you are grateful for?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @hbhoffman , I'm grateful for your wonderful post, it was the very best thing I've read all day. Thank you for sharing.

1 person likes this.
  6. TheDrake

TheDrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2015
    Louisiana
    I just want y'all to know I appreciate y'all and reading this thread

1 person likes this.
  7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    [​IMG]

I am grateful that I managed to do this with my phone, without having to ask one of my kids how to do it! This is what my DD calls the redneck pond - the 4 ft deep inflatable pool that my kids played in for years. Late last year, I put about 6" of water in it, and some extra water lilies from a water feature in the front yard. I put some gambusias in it to make sure I wouldn't be raising mosquitoes, too. It is nearly full now; that's all rain water. We've had frogs singing near it for months; I'd been afraid the fish might be eating all of the eggs and tadpoles. Obviously not; there are dozens of tiny green tree frogs in the water hyacinths. (The kinda ratty looking things all over the leaves are spent mimosa flowers)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  8. hbhoffman

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    Good photo! That is so cool! Love the idea and the upcycling of the pool. Does the horse enjoy it? ;-)
    Would it work in a smaller 3'x 3' growers tree pot? What is gambusias? Do you get to hear the frogs sing at night? Such an awesome redneck pond!

9. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC

The horses (the one you can see has a friend that you can't) get to"mow" the back yard for me sometimes, and I've seen them playing in the water with their lips. Even when the water level was low, they didn't try to step in, good thing:I don't think it could take that!

The nursery pot would work if you had a way to seal the holes; I've seen a kit that includes a heavy plastic liner and pump sized for a half whiskey barrel.

Gambusias (also known as mosquito fish) are a native live bearer that look a lot like guppies without the bright colors and fancy tails. They are voracious predators; Vector Control puts them in retention ponds. Unfortunately, they don't just eat mosquitoes, so putting them in a body of water is a sort of calculated risk.

The pool is close to the back of the house; there are several Green Tree Frogs that have made the shrubbery their permanent home. Sometimes they spend the day on the siding of the house, hunkered down with their feet tucked under themselves to minimize moisture loss. At night, they hunt bugs at the windows. The males keep an eye out for the lady frogs at all times; we hear occasional outbursts of " wank, wank, wank, wank, wank, wank"all night long.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Isn't it weird how 'big" we feel when we master some technology?

Love your redneck pond! Mine is a big circular galvanized stock tank. The kiddos used it as a pool for years (they didn't know we were rednecks, they thought it was great) then I just kept it in the garden as a pretty and to cool my feet. It's been empty the last few years though. I miss the frogs!

So I have a total of 18 baby chicks! 4 in the brooder are sex link Olive eggers--three cockerels and one pullet [​IMG]. I'm down to 7 of the Ameraucana/Dark Cornish chicks ( think my barn cat had baby chick breath--grr!) and they're moved to a secure pen. I'm hoping they're all pullets [​IMG] but will grow them on out to be sure of gender before I sell them. The last 7 are mixed blue/green egg layers with my bantam cochin momma. I think I've got 4 cockerels and 3 pullets, but am not positive. She went broody before I had my sex link pens set up, so I've just got to grow them out and see. 20 sex link eggs in the incubator, and 11 sex link eggs under my broody cuckoo Marans. I'm going to ask Honey to wire my new thermostat into my home made incubator and start going on more sex link eggs, maybe take a chance and order some Faverolles eggs and see how they do....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by