My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I had another lady asking about pullets. I'm asking $7 each. she asked if I could give her a break if she bought 10, I said sure but didn't specify cause she seemed flighty....later she called back and asked if I'd take $20 for 4....I said, sure, for 2 pullets and 2 cockerels. she didn't like that....but really. why do folks think I need to give my birds away? another man wanted to buy all my pullets, with a price break. I'm okay with knocking money off for volume, but them he wanted me to deliver them 25 miles away....maybe selling birds isn't worth it.

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Ah, but being able to laugh at other's foolishness? Priceless!

3. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    There will always be people that try to beat you down on price.[​IMG]

Critter decided to sell his boat, after it had sat in the yard for about a year. A 49er is a cockleshell of a boat; just enough hull to attach an insane amount of sail to. This is an extreme sail boat (and quite frankly, way too much boat for a man his age . . . .) He didn't list it on Craigslist, he listed it on the class sale board, so it was obvious he knew what he had, and so would the people reading the ad. He got several nibbles fairly quickly, including one guy who ran the boat down 6 ways from Sunday ("older boat" - duh! "unusable sails" - ummm come again? How you get there from the pictures, when we had the sails in hand while taking said pictures, beats me). He offered less than 1/3 the asking price. FAT CHANCE! Critter had flipped this boat a few times while sailing it, but we knew this clown was just trying to pick it up at bargain basement price so he could "flip" it. Critter just ignored him; I was all for responding with the line from the old Polaroid ad, "You're not gonna get it!"[​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He probably wouldn't 'get it'.

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    You're right - probably too young *sigh*

7. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I've tried using CL to sell eggs and birds, but I took the ad down after less than a week. Idiots. I spent more time on the phone with people who wanted to know

Do they free range?
    How long per day do they free range?
    Are my birds show quality? ( I had in the ad that these were hatchery purchased cockerels.)
    Do cages come with the chickens?
    Can I separate the colored eggs out of the brown, because the green look smaller?
    Can I deliver the eggs? (Which I did offer to meet one prospective buyer at a local church. But then he kept pushing me for my address and said he wants to tour my farm
    before purchasing any eggs from me to make sure all is clean and well. REALLY!???!? Did he tour Tyson farms before buying the chicken at Kroger?)

All in all, I was asking $2.50 dozen eggs and $5 each on the specialty breeds cockerels. The $30-$40 I stood to make did not add up to the time and hassle I had to deal with all the idiots. I didn't sell anything. The cockerels are almost to butcher age & I still donate my eggs to a local church that runs a food pantry. They are so appreciative that it makes my $40 week feed bill seem worth it. Instead of donating money to the church we donate eggs. There is a greater sense of pride knowing Monday morning while I am cooking breakfast, that there are 14-20 other families out there cooking up our eggs and enjoying breakfast as well. Families that might otherwise not have breakfast.

3 people like this.
  8. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @Outpost JWB I loved hearing about donating the extra eggs! We do that but on a much smaller scale to a couple of our neighbors. And the ones that do buy (also neighbors) we give them 18 for $2 and they're good about bringing back the empty cartons. Sometimes messy cartons but still, lol.

I used to serve on a food drive committee at my old job; it's scary and sad how many people are going without. Our own citizens and neighbors going hungry, it just doesn't seem right.

Thank you for doing what you do. [​IMG]

9. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I am blessed that we are able to help. [​IMG] Have a great weekend! The dog is calling me for nap time. LOL!

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I went to church today [​IMG] So happy to be strong enough to go for both Sunday school and service. Such a blessing just to be around other believers, and worship together---oh yeah! I've missed my Sunday school class a lot, our instructor was a pastor most of his life and truly has the heart of a teacher. He makes my brain hurt some, cause I've forgotten so much, but it's challenging me to get back in the Word.

And then, came home to 6 baby chicks in the incubator! I'm trying not to open it, and they're damp still so I really can't see head spots to sex them. I'm going to see if leg color is sex linked on this cross also, I think it should be if the barring doesn't mess things up. I'll probably graft them to my broody cuckoo Marans hen, her clutch was due to hatch on Wed but we had a kinda egg massacre in her nest when another hen really, really wanted to lay there and she's down to 2 eggs [​IMG]. Bummed about losing all those chicks, but thrilled to have a momma instead of having to brood littles myself [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by