My leukemia's back.

The chemo used for breast cancer is notorious for causing peripheral neuropathy, which is damage to the nerve endings in the feet, and hands. It tends to go away over time, after finishing chemo. It doesn't go completely away, but usually it only flares up some with weather changes. A couple days ago, my feet swelled a little, and began hurting. In a bit, they were hurting pretty good. I took a couple ibuprofen, hit the recliner, dangling my feet off the end, so as not to put pressure on them, and commented that usually only a nearby storm that has developed quickly, causes that much pain in my feet. There was nothing like that. It was a little cloudy out, from what I could see in the recliner, looking out the sliders, but no rain, or anything. My feet kept hurting. Dd 1 came in soaking wet. She was shocked that it was not, and had not rained here. She went to school, and it had stormed there all day. She left to pick up her kids from their school. They all came in wet. I was informed that from our house, a block away in any direction, it was storming bad. It was like we were in our own little weather zone. Yes, later on in the evening we got about 30 minutes of a nice, gentle shower. My feet were right about a fast storm hitting, it just didn't hit our little area.

:th
Wouldn't there have to be something in a patient's chart saying they are going to be discharged on a certain date before the nurse could even decide it was time to start cutting back?
never underestimate hospital stupidity, when my mom's father died in the hospital, I went sown to see him on my day off pulled up and went inside and asked at the information desk for his room # and they said "It looks like SHE has been discharged to go home" I said HE is my grandfather and I don't think people get discharged from ICU! turn out they sent me upstairs and the nurse there had to tell me he passed. Funny over 75 years of marriage and 7 pregnancies I found out my grandmother was married to and impregnated by a woman *if* I believe the woman at the information desk....

Thank goodness they did resurrect her. That IS the kind of thing to worry about.

I was a terrible worrier but, as I get older , just don't have the energy to do it. So I decided I can worry the night before (whatever is about to happen) and that's it. Must have worked because I told my son the same thing when he was younger and worried a lot . I think it helped him too in the beginning then he started having more confidence in himself.

oldrooster, stupidity abounds in hospitals. Social Security is eat up with it too. It seems they killed my grandmother, and she had a heck of a time, IN PERSON, convincing the worker there that she was alive. It took them months to resurrect her.
my aunts/uncles believer their father and I have "the most common name in man kinds history anyone who says other wise lies" and "we know everything, and we cannot lie" I like to point out than everyone on earth must lie including them! over what the desk clerk told me. lol

Phil, I read an article that was talking about how all heroine addicts claimed their addiction started because they got hooked on opioids, then they either couldn't get them, or they simply switched to heroine. Some of these claims were made about meth too. It was then determined that opioids are a gateway drug to heroine/meth addiction. Thus the war on opioids. Always remember, it's impossible to stop the flow of illegal things like drugs, guns, human trafficking, etc. Instead, it's easier to stem the flow of something that's legal. Instead of declaring a war on heroine/meth, which they don't seem to be able to control, they declared war on opioids, which they have a LOT more control over. With all the hoopla in the media, they're misdirecting people that will need pain medications for a short period, and scaring them into believing that if they take any prescribed pain medications, they'll become heroine/meth addicts.
Yeah I think it's all hoey..... The war on anything... Is a gateway to the tax payers pocket books.
Not trying to be offensive here or anything....
But honestly....10 % of the population will find themselves addicted to something with or without a "Gateway"
I believe the biggest gateway drug of all is..... Beer.
But my point had more to do with the fact that he was a cancer patient.... As was my aunt... She was terminal.

These people deserve and need pain relief. And not to have to deal with the anxiety and stigma that society now puts on them.

..... And yes I do know a few people that become hooked on pain killers from surgery.... But I also know they had issues to begin with.....

I see a much easier way they could help ensure that those needing their pain meds get it, while those that are abusing them, are flagged. Here, we have 2 main pharmacies, CVS, and Walgreens. There are a few private pharmacies, but not many. For years I used CVS, but when we moved here, I changed to Walgreens. For years, when I used CVS, if one pharmacy didn't have whatever was prescribed, I could go to another one that had it on hand, and could fill it. When I went on vacation, if me or my daughter's got sick, our doctors could call in our prescription locally, but I could get it filled in any CVS in whatever state I was in, BUT it had to be at a CVS. Their database was nation wide. Same thing with Walgreens. Why not make the pharmacies merge their databases? That way, the left hand would know what the right hand is doing.

That would end it for those going to more than one doctor, having one filled at one pharmacy chain, then having another one filled at a different pharmacy. If they would merge the databases on all pharmacies, then when someone took one prescription to be filled at one pharmacy, and another to a different pharmacy, it would be flagged, and the pharmacist would know not to fill the additional prescriptions. This would weed out a lot of those that are selling them illegally, and sources for those obtaining them illegally. While that would not stop heroine abuse, it sure would slow down illegal opioid abuse.
Mine all come in the mail..... And when I tell my friends they all flip out....I get."they just cut my wife right off....blah blah blah."
I think to myself... Well I know your wife.
And I'm sure she was taking a months worth per week.......I can usually stretch mine out.... Some days I can just take one pill... If it's a good day. That way when I'm having a bad day I have that extra one I can take for break out pain.
All I'm saying is I'm thankful I have then and my life is so much better than it could be.
This winter with this broken hip is a testament to that.....I was hitting them hard.... But I was in a lot of pain.

VT presumably has some sort of program to keep people from doctor hopping to get opiods.

:thumbsup

Yeah but would they pay your bills if you didn't work??

And that is the sad part. Those drugs were originally created specifically for people like her, ease the pain in the last months of life.
Good words....a few rotten apples spoil it for the people who need help the most.

When my Aunt was in the final stages of cancer, her doctor said something about not wanting her addicted to pain meds. I asked him what it mattered at that point? He got this funny look, and agreed it wasn't really an issue.

One of the problems when my dad was in the hospital, in the terminal wing, dyeing of lung cancer, was the fight with the nurses about pain meds. They kept cutting back on his pain meds. The doctor complained, I complained, yet they kept cutting back. One nurse told me she was cutting back on his pain meds, in preparation for him going home, and being given a lesser dose of oral pain meds. I looked at her, blinked, and explained he was in the terminal wing, and wasn't going home. Finally, I spoke with the Hospital Administrator. They had moved some nurses from the regular floor, to the terminal wing WITHOUT training them to the differences. One of the things they do on the normal floor, is decrease the pain medications in preparation for them going home, and usually going on a lesser, oral pain med. That's what they were doing in the terminal wing too.
Gees..... Some people

Back
Top Bottom