My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Life as a transplant patient....they say when we go bad it happens fast.....

Yesterday am doing okay. Not great, feeling punky the last few days. But get a few errands done, come home and fix lunch for the boys and myself. Hardly finish lunch when my temp spikes to 102.3, shaking chills and vomiting. Big Boy drove me to the ED and called Honey who was at clinical for school. Honey got to the ED as they called me back, good timing cause I passed out trying to walk back there. BP was 80/40....apparently I was dehydrated. I sure thought I'd been drinking enough but guess not. Felt so much better after a liter of fluid! So, I bought myself a 2+ day hospital stay while they culture fluids and look for an infection. Don't really want to be here but that passing out really scared me. What if that had happened while I was home with my boys? They would have been so scared and they don't need to go through that. So, I'm being good and staying put!

Hb, I was asking about the no waste feeders. Still haven't got mine made so I'd love pics. I haven't ordered a beef in so long I can't remember how much a half weighs, but it does take a lot of freezer space. Sometimes a quarter is best, financially and space wise. Our butcher just walks us through the different options for the cut and wrap....do you like steaks better than roasts, how thick, how many per pack, etc.

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Oh, brother! That had to be terrifying! I'm glad you are where you are need to be so they can get a handle on this....I learned 4 years ago that dehydration can occur even if you take in plenty of fluids.

3. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Boy Rachel, that must have been scary. I hope you can rest and get back on track soon and there is no infection. Take care [​IMG]

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Not good Rachel[​IMG] Hope your stay in the hospital is not long. We are all praying for you!

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Loss of consciousness will really grab your attention, won't it?

Praying that this is just one more little speed bump in the road to recovery.

6. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    You know you're just going along and _____/^\_____! May God help you with a soft landing and a quick recovery, Rachel! I will get pictures for you hopefully tomorrow.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Dehydration is nothing to mess with. That was my biggest fear while in Guatemala. Even before getting sick, I was sweating gallons. Then, everything that went in, only stayed for about 15 minutes! Rachel, stay put, until they say you're ok, then... take it very slow. Do you have AC in your home? If not, you might want to invest in a portable unit, and use it to keep your temp in a good range. I think I'll go get a drink of Iced Tea! As a matter of fact, I'll drink an extra one for you! Love and prayers to you!

8. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hey everyone!

Rachel, how are you doing today? Any word on when you get to go home?

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So apparently not just dehydration but more like septic shock. My blood cultures are positive for bacteria in my blood....Ick. From the type of bacteria they think it came from the gi tract, not my central line. So I'm keeping my line for now, and getting an abdominal CT. Getting blood today also. Dr just says "several days" here on IV antibiotics, but I'm okay with that. Yep, that whole passing out thing will really get your attention all right!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hey, Rachel, thinking of you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by