My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I suffer from the same soup syndrome. it never hangs around long though. I keep threatening to can it, but I never do.
    Now that the boy has been deposited off to school, food might last longer.
    You have added to your brood, how is it going?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's going very well. However, I was just googling "how to feed teenage boys on a budget" [​IMG]. I'm not a huge fan of filler carbs like pasta and rice, but something's got to give. I was thinking of starting a thread about this. Our area is poor enough our schools got grants for free breakfast and lunch for everyone, should be a great blessing, right? Not so much. Breakfasts are tiny and things like cereal bars. I know there's some fruit and protein somewhere, but the kids say it's not enough to bother standing in line for. Lunch is kind of the same thing, high on the "healthy grains" and little bits of everything else. I know that's what the government says is healthy, but for me, not so much. At the high school, they apparently have one lunch period for the entire school--almost 3000 students. How are they supposed to stand in line and have time to eat? Granted, a lot of them leave campus for lunch, but still. So, the long and short of it is my boys come home from school starving. I'm looking toward bean/legume based meals to have available for after school. Also looking into breakfast sammies or burritos for a grab and go breakfast. I've still got a week before school starts, so am doing some planning and pre-cooking.

How's life with no boy at home?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Cheaper, quieter, less smelly, less messy ---------------------- lonelier.

4. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    sad.

5. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] You shall survive. [​IMG]

7. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I know. This is the reason we work so hard to help them grow into mature decent people. But he is so far away. [​IMG]
    We waved when we went through New Jersey sour, but I wasn't sure I was facing the right way.

If he had been annoying or snotty or 'teenagery'... It would have been easier. I had to say goodbye to the nicest kid I have ever known.
    ...and we can't work any of the electronics.

8. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh, no! How will you survive without your in-house IT guy?!

9. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I remember making fun of my parents for not being able to set the clock on the VCR (not out loud, of course. The fun-making was all in my head. You think I wanted a lightening bolt to strike me dead?), now I hardly try to trouble shoot anything electronic. I just summon a boy....isn't that what I feed them for?

10. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I had to scan papers for him this morning. keep in mind that the windows ten download killed everything in our house. Our old stuff couldn't handle the shock or something, so, new computer, new printer... all new icons...

We finally put the (new- I have never had one before) cell phone on skype and I held it up to things and he told me what to press and click on. I wrote it all down on post-its, and stuck them all over.

I didn't know how to do the skype either... so, I am surprised his head didn't explode.

Sourland is right, we will survive. More food, less mess...more bills.
    not as much laughing though.

Time for another retriever! [​IMG] more hair to sweep up... maybe I will wait a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by