My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    It's great to see MHP in action! Wait until they start climbing all over the top and taking cat naps up there - it's definitely camera time then! [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sugar Monkey went out and saw the cave--now he's jealous! He's always been a hidey-hole kid, I can tell he wants to just crawl in there with the chicks. I won't be at all surprised if he rigs a cave of blankets on his bed in the next few days [​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C just 1 more cup pls Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I hope he doesn't use the heating pad part of the cave...it's still summer!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think I'd like a heating pad cave sometimes! My guys like it cooler than I do....must be time to start crocheting an afghan or something [​IMG]

I noticed I was having a harder time eating today, and felt bumps on the roof of my mouth. Checked things with a flashlight and I've got sores all over my mouth [​IMG]. I knew that was a possibility with tapering the immune suppressants down, the graft vs host could flare. I'm seeing the OHSU team tomorrow, so I can pick their brains and find out what the treatment is. It's depressing thinking of not being able to eat specific foods (ever? I'm not sure) and I've already lost about 15lbs in the last month or so. Not that I've minded so much, when you're heavy all your life you're thrilled to lose weight no matter how it comes around lol. But I might have to start looking at increasing calories. I tried ensure/boost and the carnation instant breakfast right after I had the transplant---[​IMG]. Well, I'm still pretty darn sturdy so not too worried about it quite yet, just looking down the road. Guess I could always default to straight Ben and Jerry's [​IMG]

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    The Ben and Jerry's sounds like the best bet! [​IMG] Is it possible, given that fungal infections are common after transplant (oh, how I remember cringing for you with that UTI you had!) that there's been a sudden overflow of yeast as you start tapering down on that immune suppression thing, that you are developing Thrush? I sure hope not! Let us know what you find out!

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Rachel, I hope the sores are just temporary. In the meantime, Ben & Jerry's is always a good fall back (no matter the reason)!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hey, all, Rachel especially, [​IMG]. Ben and Jerry's seems a valid choice.

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Morning Rachel & everyone,

Rachel, I hope the OHSU group has good news for you today. Keep us posted!

Mmmm, Ben & Jerry's (I think they are always a good answer...no matter what the question)!
    [​IMG]

Here grab a spoon and pass some around. Make mine New York Super Fudge Chunk!

9. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    Ensure or Ben and Jerry's??? Are you kidding? That is not even worth considering as a "choice"! Pass the ice cream! Death by chocolate mixed with a cookie dough core, please.
    I would crawl into a heating pad cave. After yesterday trigger point/heel fixing PT session, I turned on my heated seat to high. It felt soooo good!
    Hoping the team has a good answer and solution for you, Rachel.
    School starts in 5 days. [​IMG] Wonder if It could wait?? Need another 4 weeks of vacation and playtime with my teens!
    Hope everyone can take 5 today to think about what is good and to give thanks. Enjoy.

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Rachel, what can you do for paliative care of your mouth issue? Warm salt water gargles? Lots of yogurt? Probiotic pills? Chloraseptic? I'm hoping you have good news. Will lift you up in prayer today. May God touch you with his healing hand. May he give your transplant team wisdom. May their chosen treatment plan be exactly what you need. And may you rest in the comfort that the Great Physician has everything in His control, and has His arms of love wrapped around you. May you be surrounded by His people, and may they reach out to meet your physical and emotional needs.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by