My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Lg, I love your prayers. Thank you so much [​IMG]

It's not a yeast, so those fixes won't work. They're going to rx me a steroid mouthwash and quit tapering the immune suppressants for a while. I'm rinsing with saline and got a refill on the Magic Mouthwash with lidocaine, to numb while I brush, etc. Labs were all stable, no transfusion and platelets going up slightly, yippee! They do want to do another bone marrow biopsy cause it's the 6 month mark and my numbers, while stable overall, are still low. I'm not really worried, because I've been slow to recover in the past. It's just not a pleasant procedure to go through. I need to find out if they do it under sedation locally or if I need to go back to Portland.

Baby chicks are doing great. loving the Cave.

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Still praying for you, even though I skip days posting. Just don't have time I would like.

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Rachel, I hope the mouthwash helps. Good deal on your labs! [​IMG]

4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    [​IMG] Hoping you feel better soon!

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning everyone! Happy Friday!

Rachel, thought you might enjoy this (I stole it from another thread but you're worth it [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

Now those are the kind of lab results we could enjoy!

2 people like this.
  6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Oh my! that gave me my laugh/grin for the day.

7. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Love it! Doesn't that pup look thrilled [​IMG]

Picked up the steroid mouth rinse. It's 4 times a day, nothing to eat or drink for an hour after. That's well and good, but the stuff tastes absolutely horrible [​IMG]. I'm usually a "suck it up, buttercup" type when it comes to bad tasting medicines, but for the length of time I'm going to have to taste it, I'm not sure how this is going to work. I talked to the pharmacist (you know you're taking too many drugs when the pharmacist knows you by sight) and he said I can mix it with something to mask the flavor. I'm thinking to try some of the sugar free flavored syrups like Honey uses for his coffee sometimes. Anyone have any other ideas? I need to swish and spit the medicine and let it coat the inside of my mouth so it needs to be a liquid. And I'm not, repeat NOT corrupting my Diet Coke with this foulness [​IMG]

8. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    What about those syrups that you can put in the soda streams? they have sugar free ones.
    I am sorry you are going through this again.
    I am trying to remember ... my brain is getting so bad, there was and herb that helps with that. Let me do some digging.
    Thank goodness Google can store information for me.
    Maybe I am depending on it too much.

9. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Found it. licorice, but real licorice, not that chemical stuff.
    I love licorice-the real stuff- and thought that cankers sores would be a decent enough excuse to give it a try.
    Our local store sells real licorice in the import section, next to the jelly babies.
    If you have any high blood pressure problems, then this is not a good idea.

If you don't like the real stuff then this will work, and help with heartburn too.
    • Use DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice), a licorice extract with mucosa healing properties that you can buy in the health food store as chewable tablets or powder. Make a paste of the substance with saliva and apply it to the sore area.

10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks Jan, I'll have to ask at my hippie store and see what they've got. I have had issues with high bp on and off, but I'm comfortable monitoring it at home and adjusting medication accordingly.

Nurses, we make the worst patients [​IMG]. Always feeling we can mess with our meds!

I tried it with the sf syrup today, and it's much more tolerable. Now to cook up soup! It's cool(er) and overcast today, so I'm in a soup frame of mind. I'm going to try to make some small batches of different kinds, not all today. I'm not sure I know how to make small batches of soup, though. Mine always tends to grow as I add stuff and threaten to overflow the pot. Maybe I'll just give in and make large batches and can them, that might be best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by