My Lg Fowl breeding pens

CESpeed, I would imagine that he would be able to house up to a quad(four birds, one male, three female) in pens of this size. Most people who selectively breed birds do not hatch them out under hens. We collect eggs and incubate them, then put them in a brooder until they are big enough and feathered out to maintain their own warmth in a grow out pen. Then most breeders select the birds they like then sell or butcher the rest of them.
Breeders, as I would call myself, are not so much interested in the same things as backyard chicken people. This is no knock on either just a difference of objectives and purpose for the birds. I love my birds and love spending time with them when I can. I know each and every one of them, I do not however name any of them. They do have leg bands to identify themselves. My purpose is to perpetuate the breeds I raise and enjoy to as close to the standard that I can.
Hopefully this makes sense and answers your questions.
By the way Chris, love the pens. I am in the initial stages of getting ready to build new breeder pens for my birds. My thought is to make a building that will be 8 x 32, with the individual pens being 8 x 4. Large enough to hold a maximum of six birds during breeding season. I will probably not have that many in them but that is my thought on maximum. I will most likely be building it pole barn style with posts etc. I have to make it a fortress to protect against varmits.
John
Thanks John....you and I are on the same page!!!!

I was going to do my like your talking about but I wanted to be able to move the pens around. It's sort of a pain for me to do it....but I can if I want to.

Chris

Wow! Just so interesting and cool...Thanks for the thread...really cool and gives people a lot of easy to use ideas...even for us backyard chickeners...loads of thanks...

Thanks guys!

I got all the wire on today and have it all ready to me moved out into the yard. I need to pick up some sand to put down first but I need things to dry out a bit first. Hopefully I'll get it in place and have birds in it by the weekend. I won't put the metal on the top until I have it in place but that takes all of about 10 minutes.

Thanks for looking,
Chris

How much did it cost to make the breeding pens

I tend to do things a little over kill but I prefer to only do it once and hope they last for a while. The bottom frame is 1 x 6 x 5/8th I think, (deck boards) the up-rights are 2 x 4's front and back. I trim the front and back of the pen with 1 x 4's and the sides with the same deck boards to give me a place to nail the wire to from the inside. I use plywood 2' high between the pens to keep the fighting to a minimum. I've had some PM asking about cost. What you see in these pics plus the one sheet of treated plywood to put between the stalls cost right at 200.00 today when I went to Home Depot. From this point forward you could change some things and save money with your choice of roof, wire and hardware. I use the 1/2" x 1/2" contractor wire throughout and a metal roof. by the time I'm done, I'm just over 400.00 to build one of these. When I move it to the location, I lay 2 rows of 2 x 4 weld wire on the ground that are 16' x 4' (over all, it's 16' x 8' because it's to rows side by side). This keeps the birds from digging to deep and predators from digging in.

If anyone has any other questions or would like to see certain pics just ask and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Thanks again for all the nice comments,
Chris

What is the height of the front side and back side? Could you post close up pictures of a corner, an interior wall and the door from inside the pen? Thank you for the additional photos and information. Hope to build something like your pen this week.

Back
Top Bottom