My Lg Fowl breeding pens

This is just the design I've been looking for! It's excellent! Do you use 4x4 posts for the corners? (Any chance you have progression pics?)
If I would have saw this post earlier I would have taken pics as I was building number 3 today. I just went out and took these pics....hope they help.

I tend to do things a little over kill but I prefer to only do it once and hope they last for a while. The bottom frame is 1 x 6 x 5/8th I think, (deck boards) the up-rights are 2 x 4's front and back. I trim the front and back of the pen with 1 x 4's and the sides with the same deck boards to give me a place to nail the wire to from the inside. I use plywood 2' high between the pens to keep the fighting to a minimum. I've had some PM asking about cost. What you see in these pics plus the one sheet of treated plywood to put between the stalls cost right at 200.00 today when I went to Home Depot. From this point forward you could change some things and save money with your choice of roof, wire and hardware. I use the 1/2" x 1/2" contractor wire throughout and a metal roof. by the time I'm done, I'm just over 400.00 to build one of these. When I move it to the location, I lay 2 rows of 2 x 4 weld wire on the ground that are 16' x 4' (over all, it's 16' x 8' because it's to rows side by side). This keeps the birds from digging to deep and predators from digging in.

If anyone has any other questions or would like to see certain pics just ask and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Thanks again for all the nice comments,
Chris

Oh one more thing....here are a few pics of the outside brooders, rooster condo, bantam pens or what ever you want to call them....while I was building them. I started off using up all my broken fence boards and old wood I had lying around. All I bought when I was making them was the wire, the wood for the doors and the metal for the roof.

Thanks for looking,
Chris

Wow! Just so interesting and cool...Thanks for the thread...really cool and gives people a lot of easy to use ideas...even for us backyard chickeners...loads of thanks...

Thanks guys!

I got all the wire on today and have it all ready to me moved out into the yard. I need to pick up some sand to put down first but I need things to dry out a bit first. Hopefully I'll get it in place and have birds in it by the weekend. I won't put the metal on the top until I have it in place but that takes all of about 10 minutes.

Thanks for looking,
Chris

How much did it cost to make the breeding pens

I tend to do things a little over kill but I prefer to only do it once and hope they last for a while. The bottom frame is 1 x 6 x 5/8th I think, (deck boards) the up-rights are 2 x 4's front and back. I trim the front and back of the pen with 1 x 4's and the sides with the same deck boards to give me a place to nail the wire to from the inside. I use plywood 2' high between the pens to keep the fighting to a minimum. I've had some PM asking about cost. What you see in these pics plus the one sheet of treated plywood to put between the stalls cost right at 200.00 today when I went to Home Depot. From this point forward you could change some things and save money with your choice of roof, wire and hardware. I use the 1/2" x 1/2" contractor wire throughout and a metal roof. by the time I'm done, I'm just over 400.00 to build one of these. When I move it to the location, I lay 2 rows of 2 x 4 weld wire on the ground that are 16' x 4' (over all, it's 16' x 8' because it's to rows side by side). This keeps the birds from digging to deep and predators from digging in.

If anyone has any other questions or would like to see certain pics just ask and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Thanks again for all the nice comments,
Chris

What is the height of the front side and back side? Could you post close up pictures of a corner, an interior wall and the door from inside the pen? Thank you for the additional photos and information. Hope to build something like your pen this week.

Back
Top Bottom