My little boy

Fly 2006

Songster
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Hampshire England
Ok, this is breaking my heart to even think about this..... I have my little lovebird William, he is about 18 years old and I have had him since he was a year old, he has been a wonderfull little companion to me and has a great character, my problem is this... A year or so ago he got wobbly, had the odd fall from a perch and his little head wobbled, I assumed he had had a small stroke, he gradually recovered and was fine, he now seems to have gone a bit strange, he is ok a lot of the time but will then start marching around his cage grabbing at toys and perches as if he is really cross, he will even peck me which he would never normally do, I am so worried that he will fall and hurt himself, he has already lost his tail feathers which I think happened when he had a fall, I wasn't here at the time, I just went to his cage and saw he had no tail left! My dilema is this, do I let him carry on and hope he is ok or do I have him PTS to ensure a peaceful end rather than the possibility of a nasty fall and a broken wing or such like, I really can't bear to think of either, I just want to do the right thing by him, I would appreiciate some of your opinions, he really is an old boy and I need to do whats right.... Thank you

This is a hard decision that generally we are faced with our beloved pets. My rule of thumb is that when an animal is no longer eating, drinking, and apparently 'enjoying' life - it is time to make the difficult decision. I wish you the best with this. It is never an easy decision.

Thank you for your reply, he is eating and drinking and bathing, it is just the safety of him that worries me, he only has spells of it, I suppose only I can make the decision, although I would be grateful for any more thoughts, at the moment he is snuggled up in his bedroom ( plastic birdbath with bedding in) I think I will see how the next few days go
sad.png

whether it be a dog, cat, bird or otherwise- you always know when the right time is and no one can tell you different. If it were me, and he was drinking, eating, bathing and snuggling in his bed as usual I would let him be and observe him. As im sure you know, birds are complex little animals and maybe he is feeling crabby because of the stroke

You are one of the few people who have noted dementia in their elderly pet birds. He's most likely suffering from arthritic changes in his spine, and his having difficulty getting around. First thing you do is unclutter his cage, and supply him with a smaller cage. You don't want to cramp him in a tiny cage, but you don't want him climbing all over the place. Note which perch is his favorite and make sure his food and water dish is very close-make them easy for him to use. Apply vet wrap tape to a small portion of his favorite perch and see if he likes the cushion. If so, apply vet wrap to the entire perch. You will have to change the tape once a week to keep it clean. You don't have to get rid of all his toys, but be aware of the possibility of him getting his toenails stuck,

If you think your bird is visually impaired, you don't want to make sudden changes in his environment. I've kept elderly, blind birds for years and made sure I never moved the food and water dish. They navigated their space with no problem at all and did quite well.

I'm not sure why he suddenly lost all his tail feathers-make sure the family cat or dog can't get to the bird's cage. Or he might be experiencing pain or tingling from his arthritic spine and pulled out the feathers himself.

Keeping elderly birds can be a challenge, but a few simple changes will dramatically improve their quality of life.

This is Zombie Cockatiel the Living Dead thus named by a nephew.

Mr Z had a stroke and circled his head about in a strange fashion. The stroke blinded him and his age made him easy prey to his cage mates. I put him in a smaller cage, gave him his favorite toy- a frayed ball of yarn hanging from the top of his cage. While his erratic movement alarmed visitors, he was able to eat and drink, and keep his feather preened. I euthanized him when he could no longer climb to his perch.

Thanks Old chick, I don't think he has problems physically as he climbs around his cage as normal and still has a lot of strength for a little bird but he gets aggitated and runs around sometimes in circles and gets off balance ! I really do think it is just sinility, bless him, he is so sweet, he had picked at his bottom where his tail feathers should be, it was probably irritating him and he made it bleed, I was very worried as the little chap wouldn't need to lose too much blood for it to be a disaster, I got a bowl of warm water with hibiscrub in it and washed his bum, then I wrapped him in a towel and held him, he snuggled down and went to sleep! When I put him back in his cage it looked much better and no problems since, he really is so special to me X

I'm so sorry that William seems to be having a rough time! 18 years is very good for a lovebird - shows you have been giving him a lot of 'love' his entire life. I echo everything that username: theoldchick has already said - especially the part about making everything easier for him to access. I also wouldn't have any perches that are high up in the cage and would lower them to a safe height (a height that wouldn't be damaging if he does take a tumble). I'll say a prayer for little William.

Fly 2006,

I am so sorry your companion and friend is having a hard time. I will pray it is just adjustments to old age, and as previous posters said, as long as he is eating and drinking, and having normal functions, doing your best to adjust with him is the very best you can do. This is a heartbreaking part of life, and I always remember the words of my grandmother who told me as I noticed her age fighting against her physical abilities, "don't be afraid of death, it means your living!" I didn't understand her when she said it, nor did I want to hear it. She made it to 99, and I miss her so, but she carried me so far through the first part ofmy life, and your little guy is a celebration. I am glad you have had each other.

Good Luck, keep us posted, I will be thinking of him :)

MB

Back
Top Bottom