My little chickie acts clumsy

hannah311189

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Rome, Georgia
My little chick Gray is always rolling over and falling on to its back. He doesnt act sick, eats like a pig and drinks plenty, he is very active. He tries to groom and he gets off balanced all rolls onto his back. He kicks and kicks and finally gets up if i dont roll him back over. Is this a concern? Ive never had a problem like this before. Im extremely attached to this little fella now and if he was sick or died it would break my heart.

Has he ever walked since he hatched?
He walks and runs around, he is completely normal. I have been looking at one of his feet and it looks like one of his back toes is pointed more forward than back, which could explain his balance issues when grooming and what not. I hope thats what it is instead of something serious like him being sick.

I had a few chicks that had been on a slick surface for awhile, this tends to allow their legs to spread out and can make them have issues later if left on slick surfaces. They form things in their brains about walking to correct for surfaces. While very young they should always have something that has traction. I've as of yesterday banded ones legs to reform his/her thinking that was born the day before Easter. I had cleaned the incubator out and she/ he had way to smooth of surface to try to walk on.

Back
Top Bottom