My little dude doesn’t like when the girls fly around and spaz

kk+chickens

Songster
6 Years
Jan 17, 2018
california
my newest batch is almost 16 weeks old. 3 girls and 1 boy and they will be introduced to the others. my little dude has a hormone implant so he almost never crows and *knock on wood* hasn’t mounted any of them. they live in a giant box in the house and they have a tractor type thing for backyard time during the day. when they first get into the backyard area, they love to fly around and spaz. they also do this at random times when they hear something or i guess when they’re just feeling spazzy. anyway, when the girls are doing this, my little guy chases them around and sometimes pecks them. is he trying to train them not to spaz? im curious what this behavior is about. before we knew about the hormone implant, we had another little cockerel, but gave him to a rooster rescue pretty early so this is my first real experience having a little boy.

If he has a hormone implant, he's not a REAL little boy. Out of curiosity, why did you do that?
He's just getting excited and trying to control them.
we aren’t allowed to have roosters where we live and he was thought to be a girl, but im sure you know that’s not always accurate. of course, i had already fallen in love and the rooster rescue is no longer taking more

I'm looking into getting an implant for my male silkie chicks. Did your roo ever start crowing? At what age did he get the implant? Thanks!!

The young rooster we had (before we had to rehome him) did that, too. He was always so laid back until the girls did their "Olympics". (Seeing who could fly or jump the furthest, etc) He hated them being so rambunctious. There were only 3 things that made him take charge, bedtime (he would round them up), when the other rooster would bully the girls, and when the girls did their crazy Olympics. Don't know why he did this. I just assumed he liked everybody to be nice and calm.

Back
Top Bottom