My little ladies are in treat heaven! How often do you give a "treat"

JanaBanana1

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 22, 2011
Tomorrow will be a week since I got my hens... they didn't get many "treats" where they came from. So I had to fix that
smile.png
Yesterday they had their first taste of cheese... and today I gave them some wheat bread and for breakfast I fed them room temperature oatmeal! They were in heaven with it!! My family thinks I am nuts with how much I love going out and giving them a treat every now and again... How often do you give yours treats?

I have three kids and multiple daycare kids, so we have lots of leftovers. I chuck the girls a bowl of scraps almost every day. On cold mornings it is oatmeal.
smile.png

Most human food is ok. Low salt, low fat, low junk.

I give my girls a treat daily. I currently have three hens but am getting four more at the end of this month. Daily I make them a veggie ball. It contains spinach, kelp, tomatoes, cauliflower and any other veggies I have. I also give them pasta without salt. They love it. The spaghetti noodles look like worms to them. I've also given them cooked rice with cooked hamburger. One of their favorites. Their ultimate favorite is meal worms and crickets. I'm growing meal worms for them and they get that daily too. Love my girls.

Mine get whatever suitable leftovers there are each day. Anything else I toss on the compost pile, the escapees will get it anyway. They'll eat just about anything, but mainly I stay away from things that are salty, too sugary, or otherwise empty calories. (There's also a list of things you shouldn't give your chickens ever, like chocolate, garlic/onions, potato peels, avacado, citrus, etc.)

Mine get treats every day. I give them a mix of corn, BOSS and apple pieces. They go GAGA over the apple. Even my youngsters learned in one day what the treat bucket looks like! So funny to see them lined up in their run waiting for their turn!
smile.png

Let's see,, treats,, when I walk out the door, when I walk into the yard,, if I have anything to eat for myself, when I make ramen noodles just for them, when I make sure I have extra spaghetti noodels,, ah heck,, it's easier to when I don't,, and I don't remember that!

I give them a treat each morning when I go say hello before I leave for work. They hear the back door open and are all lined up at the gate chattering and talking. Apple is their favorite these days.

I put it on a metal stick so it's up off the ground:
69266_dsc_2801.jpg

And this is what I come home to at the end of the day:
69266_dsc_2806.jpg

yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom