My little oddball...

chickensarefamily2me

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 14, 2010
Argyle, Texas
Huh... I never thought that I would be headed to a chicken farm. I was excited; I was going to pick up four new babies.

I didn't know what this woman had. But I did end up picking two Cuckoo Marans and two Buff Orpingtons. I turn to leave the chick room. I gaze lovingly at the adorable Americauna chicks, and notice the strangest chick I had ever seen.

She had the markings of an Americauna, but she was tiny compared to the chicks that were the same age as her. Her feet were bright yellow, and long. Her toes were just as long, and two were crooked. Her eyes were big, and a counter clockwise swirled cowlick dominated her head. A clockwise swirl covered her back, and her feathers were a strange greenish blue.

I point her out to the woman.

"Oh. Him? His names' Marty. I think he's a boy. Marty needed help getting out of his shell, and his feet are messed up. I'm not too sure what breed he is..." was her answer.

"Marty? I think he's a she." I answered, picking the chick up.

The chick squawked in protest, and in my heart, I knew this chick was a girl.

"Daddy! I want this chick. I need an 'M' anyway." I turn to my Dad, putting on my best begging face. I had lost my Molly to a freak attack, and my next Molly turned out to be a Mullet. I gave Mullet to this woman, and found out she had chicks.

"We only came to get four..." my Dad told me uneasily.

"Please!!" I beg.

To help my case, the woman offered her for free.

"Well... We've gotta call her Marla, then."

I hug my Dad excitedly, and add the newly christened Marla to my gaggle of chicks.

Marla wasn't pretty as a chick, but as she reached chickenhood, she blossomed. I found out one of my favorite teachers was named Marla, and her big poof of silver hair was her trademark. Little miss Marla has long silver tail feathers, and is the smallest of my group. Marla will sing in the morning, just like her namesake. I love Marla to death, and even though I'm not supposed to have favorites, she has a very special place in my heart.

65474_dscn0264.jpg

Very sweet, indeed! Hi, Marla!! My sweetie is my one-eyed RIR, Polly. Definitely not as pretty as Marla, but she's totally my favorite (shhhh!)

Back
Top Bottom