My little red bantam is singing like crazy this morning

maggiec1951

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 30, 2011
west central florida
Usually Lucille (cutest little rusty red bantam I've ever seen) is the quietest of my little flock; all of mine are pretty quiet as a rule but since 8:00 she has been singing almost nonstop. Could there be an egg in the near future? I sure hope so. She is 6 1/2 months old; the other 4 are 5 1/2 months and egghibiting some "laying" behaviors. I have had an eggstreme case of egg envy with all the first egg posts lately. Maybe I'm getting an early Christmas present. I'm so eggcited:weee Putting new batteries in my camera now!

Sounds like she is getting close!
D.gif
Keep us posted!
yippiechickie.gif

Woohoo!! It won't be long now. Are you checking your nest boxes every hour? You might have one today. I have a barred rock who sang her egg song for about 20 minutes and then laid her first egg. She still sings everytime! So awesome!

Good luck. I know it isn't easy waiting for the first, but it will be so exciting when it happens!

She sang for almost 45 minutes and yes, I checked the nesting boxes, run, coop floor and every other place I could think of but no egg. Later today she acted submissive to one of the other girls...one that has been picking on her a bit lately. Am I confused? or is my tiny little girl confused? She is 29 -30 wks old and I understand that bantams can sometimes start laying later but darn it all, I am just plain tired of waiting! I want an egg
fl.gif

I got my first bantam egg yesterday
celebrate.gif

My bantam hen is free ranged all the time. Her and the rooster sleep in the trees. She is real skittish. She does come up when i feed the big chickens but not close. She does go in the coop when the door is open. I raised the top on our nesting boxes on Tuesday and she was in the nest where all my hens lay. I scared her and she scared me. She left out quickly. She layed her first egg the next day. I am so excited i thought she would probably lay out in the woods. I got home from work last night and checked for eggs and there it was this tiny little white egg laying next to 2 large and medium brown eggs.
Question : Do you eat bantam eggs? They are so small. My husband is saying lets leave them and see if she will start sitting them. I don;t want to because she is so scared of us.

Back
Top Bottom