My Local TSC Selling Sick (MG) Chicks

You'll not find such information. Hatcheries don't even want their customers to know that such diseases exist. But, if you ask a specific hatchery, they may be obligated to tell you. Not sure on that one.
I'm pretty sure that they all have a standard "explanation" that they are to give as a matter of policy when they do have issues so as not to lose customers. I'm not really sure I'd trust them to tell me the whole truth. The reason, I've been in other business long enough and been one to be given scripts to use when someone concerned for one reason or another calls as well as any press. I'd still approach the situation with chicks with extreme caution, knowing that even if they BELIEVE that they are telling the truth, it may really just be that their higher ups are doing damage control. That is just the nature of the business.

Soooo how can we be sure that the chicks we want to buy from any of the feed or ag stores are mg free? Is there a list of hatcheries somewhere that advertise to be mg free?
Look back on this thread a couple of pages for at least 2 places with MG-free stock. One is a hatchery called Whitmore Farm and the other is a smalltime breeder that can be found on CL & Facebook. I included all their information, as well as contact info and prices for the small-time breeder. As far as I know, there are only 2 hatcheries in the country who claim to be Mycoplasma free. Remember it's not just MG, but MS also you want to look out for. The rest of the large popular hatcheries do not test for MG, therefore they cannot claim to be MG free to the public. I have emials saved from many when I was researching before placing an order this year. All have told me they don't test for it and cannot claim to be 100% MG free, but that they vaccinate, follow protocol, etc etc. But there are horror stories if you get to digging. BTW, when they vaccinate for MG (and they wouldnt do it unless there was a chance it was in their breeding stock) the bird gets a live virus essentially (<--I'm no doctor here) and they will test positive for the rest of their lives.
What you if want if you're out to buy, is healthy looking chicks w/o pasty butt, and the ability to get background information on the flock these eggs were laid from.
Here's what I ask anyone I'm considering buying from. Be it hatchery or individual.

1. Are you NPIP certified?

2. if yes, What do you test for & how often?

3. Do you test for Mycoplasmas? Usually this is a no. Don't be afraid to ask why they don't. I stop here when dealing with large-scale hatcheries. Continue on with individuals if you choose...

4. Have you ever had to give your chickens any kind of treatment for any kind of illness? If this is a yes, ask what they gave them. A lot of individuals will guess at what's wrong (which is ok, we all don't have chicken vets or money to send them to a lab) so they will treat with something/few things they think will fix it. If respiratory issues were a problem in the past, or they treated with:
doxycycline
tylosine
tylan
tetracycline/oxytetracycline
......Shop Elsewhere. it's not worth the risk. If they were only given Corid (for coccidiosis) or have been given electrolytes and vitamins and minerals and wormer medication, don't sweat it. Buy some chicks...if you think they are the honest type.

5. Do you maintain a closed flock? if not, see how long they quarantine - if they do, when they get new stock. It's preferable to find someone who maintains a closed flock and breeds generations of birds. or has had the same birds on their property for at least a yr or 2. Tho thats not always plausible.

6. Do you show your birds? If yes, Do you quarantine in a separate pen away from your flock? This should be a yes. If not, shop elsewhere. All kinds of things can be picked up at shows from other birds. Mycoplasma being one. Since adult chickens live easily with the disease and the symptoms can be hidden for shows, some people who show may choose to keep a bird rather than culling, esp if they tend to place high with it.

7. Can I get some pictures of your set up and the parent birds? Most serious breeders looking to keep out diseases do not allow visits in person. But you should still be able to see how the breeders are kept, and what they look like. You'll be able to decide whether you think they have good care, or if you're dealing with a "chickie-mill breeder". If adults are kept in small mud pens with lots of feathers missing (A sign of picking from being too crowded) you'll know to keep looking.

Good preparation and asking questions for the background info on parent stock is the best thing you can do. Unfortunately for the buyer. mycoplasma isn't taken seriously enough, or has been kept hush-hush. Many simply do not know what it is they are choosing to treat and take on the rest of the chickens's lives. They just get told to go get some antibiotics and it'll go away. (it won't). The lady I get my frizzles from does not have MG free certification. Though what made me decide to buy was this, they have peacocks out with their chickens. After having them about a yr they started acting funky, so she took them to a vet in a city nearby. He tests the peacocks at the zoo, so she had hers tested by them. They turned out to be MG/MS AI and pull negative. They just had a bout of Cocci. It recieved treatment and was wiped out. She has not taken in any more birds to her proeprty since the peacocks. This means that if anything did have MG, they all would have had it bc it is highly contagious. Given that the peacocks didn't have it, she's not taken in anymore birds, but rather has bred any new ones she has now herself, and she has never had to give them anything other than electrolytes, it's safe to assume that she is MG free. This has been right so far bc none of my birds started showing symptoms from being in contact with hers when I brought them home.

I know it's a pain in the butt, and you'll seriously cut down your buying sources if you want to be as careful as I am, but it has been worth it to me to know I have 100% disease free stock - since that is what I require to someday sell chicks and eggs and be an NPIP certified breeder myself.

I'm pretty happy that there's no MS in TSC chicks. Cause I just bought some. Have 5 EE and 1 that I think is a buff Orpington. It was in the EE tank but it might just have gotten thrown in. They're adorable! Now if I can just get some marans and show silkies I'll be happy. Lol

Nope shes a buff ee. Funny how ya grabbed her and knew once ya mentioned ya was looking... I wasn't surprised ya went back and snatched them up.
Also since ya was worried about any issues with our birds, im the one who picked them up from the post office and have to check them in to the stores inventory as im the receiver. And happy to say that even with the record low temps... every single chick and duckie made it alive and well upon arrival. Not one dead and and all still continued to do well after placed in the tanks.

And since ya personally know me, if ya ever have any concerns, dont hesitate to ask as I am as truthful as they come. ..

:)

I realize this is an old thread, but after reading I'm now wondering if this was my problem to begin with. I bought my girls from TSC (I'm in North Georgia) and didn't think to ask what hatchery they came from or anything about diseases. My now 5 month olds are all sick (all seemed healthy and perfectly fine up until earlier in the week) and after a post here someone thinks it's most likely MG. Really has me wondering now.... Definitely have learned my lesson after this mess, and sadly, at the expense of my chickens health.

Last edited:
I realize this is an old thread, but after reading I'm now wondering if this was my problem to begin with. I bought my girls from TSC (I'm in North Georgia) and didn't think to ask what hatchery they came from or anything about diseases. My now 5 month olds are all sick (all seemed healthy and perfectly fine up until earlier in the week) and after a post here someone thinks it's most likely MG. Really has me wondering now.... Definitely have learned my lesson after this mess, and sadly, at the expense of my chickens health.
That doesn't mean they came in with it. It's just as likely they picked it up from the yard.

keesmom is correct. They could have gotten it from the yard from an infected wild bird (rare but it happens) or from contaminated shoes, equipment, etc. What are their symptoms?

What a horrible experience for the chicks! I think I would have had to of called the ASPCA on that obviously ignorant and callous manager.

x2

I wouldn't have left the store until they'd adjusted the heat lamps properly, even if I had to threaten to call law enforcement.

I got 6 Golden Comets from TSC in March and they're awesome.
My TSCs are in NE Oklahoma. All their chicks were healthy and well cared for by country folks on staff, who know about chickens.

But at one store they didn't put the labels on the bins but on the fenced enclosure around the bins instead, so when they rotated the bins the signs weren't moved along with them, and they had a hard time figuring out which chicks were in which bin.

Last edited:
keesmom is correct. They could have gotten it from the yard from an infected wild bird (rare but it happens) or from contaminated shoes, equipment, etc. What are their symptoms?
Their all different, but it's mainly some sound congested, some are sneezing/coughing, and some have nasal discharge (clear and no odor).

Their all different, but it's mainly some sound congested, some are sneezing/coughing, and some have nasal discharge (clear and no odor).

If they are fixing to come into lay, stress can trigger latent disease. They can also catch it from anywhere like others stated. It may not necessarily be the feed store.

If you want to help them through it, you can try the VetRX which can be picked up at feed stores usually. Directions in the package. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar in their water could help cut through mucous in their throat. I think it is a tablespoon per gallon. If they aren't used to it, you could start with half that dose. I would add some vitamin supplement to their feed or water also. I would change the water daily. Or you could just pick up antibiotics for their water. Plenty of stuff on the market for MG if that's what you think it is.

Back
Top Bottom