My lone hen is crowing...need some input, please!

EllyMae

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
The South Mountains of NC
Ok, so my egg laying 8 month old pullet is crowing, yes, crowing. Now, I'm concerned because tomorrow I will be adding three new pullets of around the same age. Is she going to act all crazy and try to be a rooster?? Does anyone have experience with this? Oh, and how should I go about introducing them to her?
Thanks so much!

Oh, I hope that isn't true. But it's making me think back to my grandmother always saying that if a rooster clucked or a hen crowed, you had to ring their neck but couldn't eat them...not sure why...I just always thought it was the Appalachian superstition.

This happened to us. When they are alone, they seem to crow as if to say "is anybody else out there?!". We got a batch of 6 chicks and introduced them a little bit at a time starting at 5 weeks. She stopped crowing and was so happy to have company...she wasn't agressive but she did show her status as #1 chicken. Unfortunately for us, that batch turned out to be all boys. Once we rehomed them, she started to crow again. The second time around, we got what ended up to be pullets. We introduced them much sooner since our hen was so lonely. I just felt so sorry for her!!

I would definitely wait to make sure your new chickens are healthy. Introduce them gradually...watch and make sure there are no major scuffles. There will be some pecking, but it likely won't be anything major. She was there first, so she will establish her order as being on top. The newbies will be afraid and will bow down to her. She will probably stop crowing. Mine did...and we haven't heard a crow out of her since. The group is getting along great and she is happy to not be alone any more!!

Good luck!

Quote:
Thank you so much for your encouraging words! I have been just heartbroken since my other hen died so suddenly, and then it left Mrs. Prissy all alone, THEN we moved to a new place. Poor Mrs Prissy has probably felt so bewildered.

I know how you feel EllyMae...It just broke my heart to see Meg all alone and crowing!! I was so embarrased for her, bless her lonely little heart!

I think because Miss Prissy is lonely she will welcome the company, but she will certainly peck and scare them at first. She deserves to be top hen after what she has been through, don't you think!?
wink.png

dont worry
she wont try to do a rooster's duty to them
sometimes, when there is no rooster,
a hen will crow to you know, announce
I believe that you can eat mixed up chickens, I have never heard of any thing of the sort

-jenny

I have always heard that if their was no rooster aroung this would happen ,haven,t ever seen it my self , But that is what a friend said happened to her chickens ,then after she got a rooster everything went back to normal

Back
Top Bottom