My lonely hen

Tyna

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2015
So I have my girl Sussex and I want to get her a friend or two to keep her company. I was thinking about getting her a couple of chick's from tractor supply. But I'm wondering if she would take to them or not. Or if I wait for her to have her own chick. Or maybe order a hen and from where. She's doing great and very attached to me. I love spending time with her but she needs more than just me. Help please lol

Welcome to BYC!

You can get the babies to be her friends. But you will need to brood them separate from here (too much risk of a heat lamp getting knocked over.) After they are feathered and ready for no heat (around 5-6 weeks) you can put their cage in with her...so she can look but not touch.

There's a whole process that you can read about on here. Just use the search bar and type in "integrating chicks", you'll get TONS of threads and good advice there!

Chickens like to have other chickens. As much as they get attached to us they always seem more content with more chickens around.

You would need a rooster for her to have her own chicks- unless you can get fertile eggs if she goes broody.

Baby chicks will integrate fine, but as mentioned will need special attention at first.

An older hen could be okay if you want for her to have a friend sooner- but may still need to be integrated over the course of a few days/week. I like the separate look but don't touch cage method for both babies and older birds But I would wait until your coop is finished!

Great to have you join us! Good luck with making new additions for your lone girl.

Cheers
Ct

welcome-byc.gif

Reading up on integration is the best place to start as Bridebeliever suggested. And before you try to integrate any bird, don't forget to isolate them 1st to be sure you aren't introducing an illness or pest.

Good luck!

YOU CAN be enough company for your one hen. Please check out "people with house chickens." My friend has 3 bantam hens that have the run of her house but, generally people may have just one. Usually it's one that is an' ONLY', or the others in a flock may be bullying and harming her. Some really blossom as a house pet, and can be doglike in their own affectionate way.

So now i have a flock of 7 and my bella is happy just territorial. They are big and beutiful and spoiled.

Back
Top Bottom