My lovable RIR has turned into a meanie!

primenumbergirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
I don't know if it's the spring or all the rain we've been getting, but my friendliest, sweetest Rhode Island Red has turned into a real monster. She used to peck my boots occasionally if she wanted something, but now she constantly nips my legs above the boots and and pecks my hands when I'm working in the backyard. These aren't little grooming nips; she seems mad. When not pecking, she's constantly challenging me and staying underfoot. She's not even my alpha hen!

Moving her out of the way with my foot just seems to make her even more ornery. I have to carry her around tucked under one arm just to calm her down. That's getting to be a real pain when I need both hands to do chores.

My husband, on the other hand, still gets the same sweet treatment he's always gotten. All of the ire is reserved for me. He does morning chicken maintenance and I do afternoon and evening work.

Her sisters are the same as they've always been, friendly but a little more standoffish. They usually greet me and then give me space. My little monster, on the other hand, doesn't seem interested in leaving me alone.

I'm tempted to throw her in a pen by herself when she gets out of hand.

What's going on with the Jekyll/Hyde behavior? Do I need to get her a boyfriend?

Back
Top Bottom