It doesn't look to me as if she had many objections, though… :lau
I had to get Petey off poor little Hershey today. She was not letting that poor duck come up for a breath. The only reason I even noticed was I was counting the ducks and couldn’t find Hershey. She was completely submerged for a good while until I got fat butt off her. :barnie

I had to get Petey off poor little Hershey today. She was not letting that poor duck come up for a breath. The only reason I even noticed was I was counting the ducks and couldn’t find Hershey. She was completely submerged for a good while until I got fat butt off her. :barnie
Petey might be anti-antifa!!!

They usually lay one egg per day in the morning during the daylight-season, except for…
  1. They (think they) are broody
  2. They have ducklings
  3. Their name is Blanca Duck, in which case they sometimes lay two eggs a day.
  4. They are in a hard molt.
  5. Their name is Katharina Duck, who sometimes lays her egg in the evening.
When the days are getting shorter, they still lay eggs, but not daily, so out of 24 ducks i still got 12-14 eggs every day.
Your ducks are beginners in the egg-laying business, they just need some time to adjust and find their pace and rhythm.
Petey laid 4 consecutive days, but then nothing today. That slacker!

I wonder if you treat broody ducks the same way you treat broody (chicken) hens?
In theory, yes… - I have no experience with broody hens, how much resistance are you facing when you are approaching a broody hen? And if not resistance, how sweet can a broody hen be to convince you not to take away her eggs? - I don't have it on video, but in the video below you can see Pinball Duck asking not to be removed from her nest and trust me that little song is nothing compared to her desperate crying when i approached her for the first time. My attitude melted away like butter in a hot Texas summer day...
I. Just. Could. NOT. DO. IT!!! - So there are now four ducks added to this world, now 2½ months old and sooo sweeet! Especially those young drakes, unfortunately... :barnie

I’m pretty sure I won’t try then.
Prepare for the fact that this will not be your decision!!! - One of your ducks will convince you to let her sit. Or she will find a spot where you cant find/reach her (deep under the porch, for example), collect her eggs there and go u-boat…

O
our Hershey has been in that situation. Poor little K/C with a Pekin Duck on her and our version of Ralphie on top of the Pekin.

Back
Top Bottom