Ya'll, my wonderful baby Norbie is all of a sudden MAD at us. She flares her feathers (not something she used to do) ducks her head low and does NOT come over to me when we call her. Is this normal behavior if she's molting??? I mean... she's been the most friendly duck for the two years we've had her, but something is UP her cloaca and I want to know if it's it's something we could have done? We have had to force medicine on her lately, so maybe that's it, but she bit the crap out of my wife today. My heart is breaking :-(
Duck or Drake? - If Duck, she might be on her way to become broody. Is she running around like an angry boxer, head retracted between her shoulders?

She's a duck. And she's not been laying because of her molting (her wings almost get naked), but she's only flaring at me and ducking her head to me. She usually comes right up to me and even submits frequently. Now I can't make eye contact her without the crooked neck feather fluff.
1607194181743.png
1607199873760.png

She's a duck. And she's not been laying because of her molting (her wings almost get naked), but she's only flaring at me and ducking her head to me. She usually comes right up to me and even submits frequently. Now I can't make eye contact her without the crooked neck feather fluff.
View attachment 2437918View attachment 2438039
I think she is saying
"No touchy me my feathers hurt"

View attachment 2437918View attachment 2438039
She is a Beauty! Is she a Pekin or a White Layer?
Her molt doesn't seem too bad, i was always worried about my ducks here during their past molts, until i had a couple of them going through a really hard one this fall: Blanca and Earthquack Duck, my two grown up White Layers started to look like porcupines and one of the Buff Orpington/Runner girls was running around like a plugged chicken.
A duck with a hard molt? - Look here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...lt-contest-three-prizes.1415124/post-23272697
I assume it is more likely that Norbie is going broody, at least half ways. I have a couple of ducks here too who started running around with retracted heads and quacking uneasy. It happens during the winter season when it is unusual warm for some time.
Nothing to worry about! It will sustain…

Back
Top Bottom