Im in molt. No eggs which makes me want more chickens or ducks! Still deciding. :) . What is your favorite duck? If I got ducks was thinking Welsh Harlequin and Khaki Campbell. Like small and light division.:)
This is the first year I’ve not had at least 7 or 8 early Spring pullets to get those eggs all winter long. I do have 5 new ones, but only two are still laying. The oldest two decided to begin laying outside the chicken ‘confines.’ One went broody almost instantly after starting to lay and after her stint in the broody breaker she hasn’t resumed laying. The other one I’m pretty sure is laying somewhere else other than the first place I found! :barnie I just haven’t found where yet!

I have a Welsh Harlequin. She is very pretty and sweet, but none of mine are ‘lappers’ unfortunately. I think my favorites though are the Indian Runners. They are absolutely adorable and HILARIOUS, however, I don’t think they are the best at egg laying. So far, my White Layer, Buff, and Welsh Harlequin have laid every.single.day since the beginning of August - no days off line chickens, which I didn’t realize. My Buff has not laid the last two days which has had me a bit worried.

I vote for Runners anyway.

I really would like some eggs so not sure about runners and space is limited but love the funny part! I did think about the white layer or golden 300 for laying ability but ultimately picked a breed known well. Want them to be docile and not flighty hence Welsh and so cute in color. I just love watching the ducks at a nearby lake. We have a couple and they come in by the droves. No wild eggs to save or ducks. They do well here and always company when kayaking along with the turtles. :)

I really would like some eggs so not sure about runners and space is limited but love the funny part! I did think about the white layer or golden 300 for laying ability but ultimately picked a breed known well. Want them to be docile and not flighty hence Welsh and so cute in color. I just love watching the ducks at a nearby lake. We have a couple and they come in by the droves. No wild eggs to save or ducks. They do well here and always company when kayaking along with the turtles. :)
Really and truly all ducks are funny, I guess the runners are more so because of their upright stance. Here are pictures of my RalphieDux, formerly Latte, standing up straight as an arrow. The first one is my all time favorite. RalphieDux is pleading for some more peas from my grandson.
453FF6A0-08C4-424A-83C9-C5BBB3E03B5D.jpeg

15E0FE21-EA9B-45C9-A5FB-0FB7652D034C.jpeg

ACA343CF-A013-463D-ACA5-049AFFA50F82.jpeg

Here’s a shot of all five dingducks (my version of dingbats) right outside my back door. They camp out on my deck a good portion of the day. At the end of the day I wash it off before anyone gets home, wearing their good shoes!
D9DDE23F-02D2-4B27-8695-2E5A6DE46769.jpeg

My Quinny is definitely my prettiest duck! Mine do sleep a lot, but they make a lot of laps around and around my house all day.
637A51BD-127F-4D07-AA41-05E4657A31DC.jpeg
27A616E5-9DEF-4095-81BA-09DFA4747C53.jpeg

Does this picture make my nose look big? 😂
88B8A3CE-C1E8-4B93-884D-E1C416B715BF.jpeg

Clockwise from top left: White Layer, Buff, Welsh Harlequin, and Chocolate Runner.
B25093D1-49A5-48C2-86B1-6FBAAFB2B068.jpeg

If you want eggs and sweet ducks, i can only recommend the White Layers. I have four of them and they lay a large egg almost every day. Except when they are molting or in other distress. Their personality is laid-back like the Pekin ducks minus all the health problems and they are good foragers. No experience with the Golden Hybrid layers, but i assume they are very similar.

Really and truly all ducks are funny, I guess the runners are more so because of their upright stance. Here are pictures of my RalphieDux, formerly Latte, standing up straight as an arrow. The first one is my all time favorite. RalphieDux is pleading for some more peas from my grandson.View attachment 2499851
View attachment 2499840
View attachment 2499842

Here’s a shot of all five dingducks (my version of dingbats) right outside my back door. They camp out on my deck a good portion of the day. At the end of the day I wash it off before anyone gets home, wearing their good shoes!
View attachment 2499838

My Quinny is definitely my prettiest duck! Mine do sleep a lot, but they make a lot of laps around and around my house all day.
View attachment 2499843View attachment 2499865

View attachment 2499860

Clockwise from top left: White Layer, Buff, Welsh Harlequin, and Chocolate Runner.
View attachment 2499841
You sure you don't call'em the »dangducks« - at least from time to time? :lau

If you want eggs and sweet ducks, i can only recommend the White Layers. I have four of them and they lay a large egg almost every day. Except when they are molting or in other distress. Their personality is laid-back like the Pekin ducks minus all the health problems and they are good foragers. No experience with the Golden Hybrid layers, but i assume they are very similar.

Thanks! I did think about the white layers for pure quantity that and traditional duck color. I love the white layers too. :)

Really and truly all ducks are funny, I guess the runners are more so because of their upright stance. Here are pictures of my RalphieDux, formerly Latte, standing up straight as an arrow. The first one is my all time favorite. RalphieDux is pleading for some more peas from my grandson.View attachment 2499851
View attachment 2499840
View attachment 2499842

View attachment 2499838

View attachment 2499843View attachment 2499865

View attachment 2499860

View attachment 2499841

You had to show me blue eggs. Wow difference in size from white layers. They look so pretty! I wish I had room for all but do not. Ducks are so cute!

I think I have solved the mystery of several day’s worth of one missing duck egg. Also, to the days of missing eggs, add a couple of days of one of the eggs being cracked. Yep!

Yesterday morning when I let the quackers out, I bent over to get the eggs and the two eggs that were there had yolk all over them. :eek: I believe I have an egg eating duck or two. And the cracked eggs, thinking back on it, looked like a duck’s bill had cracked it. I looked really, really good and found no egg shell remnants. They sure do a good job of cleaning up the evidence.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I don’t think so. Needless to say this upsets me.

Back
Top Bottom