Pics
Just More Ducks And Water As I was about to clean out the “temporary pond” the ducks were more interested in the water coming straight from the hose so I let them play in it for a bit. They are soooooo freaking funny!

The turf and landscape fabric around the pool are to cover the dirt that I had dug out for the hole. I had to nearly beat my chickens to keep them away so I know they would have destroyed the fresh dirt.

🎶🎵Five Little Ducks That I Once Knew 🎵🎶
White Ones, Loud Ones, Tall Ones Too.......
(My version of the little duck song!)

Every day the ducks venture farther and farther away from their little run, all on their own too! But one thing that will lure them anywhere is water, or even just the sound of water! Every time I clean their little pool out of course the water rushes down hill. I don’t care where they are at the time, they will all RUN to the flowing water. This particular time, I just videoed them. I guess what they’re doing in the mud is called dabbling. (Proper duck terminology is all new to me.)

The boogers are even pruning my azalea bushes, but I guess it’s okay since I’ve let my chickens all but destroy the mulch bed that was down under the landscaping.

I do believe the chickens are beginning to really dislike the ducks. They realize the quackers are not going away.

Oh, and why is Petey so dang LOUD?!?

Thank you on the compliment. They definitely are an overload of cuteness as babies that turn into an overload of hilarity when they get older. None of them are Pekins, but one of them is a White Hybrid Layer which is part Pekin, I think. Is that right @WannaBeHillBilly?
I assume that the White Layer is sharing some genes with Pekin ducks. How exactly Metzer Farms has created the White Layer is their closely guarded secret. And the White Layer is not recognized by the APA as a duck breed. And it is not stable, that means the offspring of the White Layer may look entirely different.
But they are great ducks! Goofy like Pekins, strong personality, relaxed and friendly, without the leg and hip problems that Peking ducks often develop when they become older.

Yesterday afternoon I was cleaning out a barrel that I had planned on using as an automatic waterer for the ducks and just happened to let the water run while I scrubbed. Guess who suddenly appeared? Oh yes, the duckies. But I will have to say that at least they don’t get right in my way like the chickens do. All the sticks and nuts and leaves created a little dam that allowed a decent puddle to form. Oh yeah, they were happy!

If you mix water with anything (dirt, leaves, hay, shavings), it all of a sudden becomes a big duck party...Ducks Making Their Own Fun!

I assume that the White Layer is sharing some genes with Pekin ducks. How exactly Metzer Farms has created the White Layer is their closely guarded secret. And the White Layer is not recognized by the APA as a duck breed. And it is not stable, that means the offspring of the White Layer may look entirely different.
But they are great ducks! Goofy like Pekins, strong personality, relaxed and friendly, without the leg and hip problems that Peking ducks often develop when they become older.
Makes perfect sense!

Also, I guess it’s possible ducks have a juvenile molt between 8-12 weeks like chickens do. If not, something is wrong with Petey. She is leaving feathers everywhere!!!!!! At first I thought my rooster was being rough on a couple of my white hens, only to realize most of the feathers were in duck specific locations.
74C8DBC7-12D2-4CF4-96ED-A01F86A4A963.jpeg

Thank you on the compliment. They definitely are an overload of cuteness as babies that turn into an overload of hilarity when they get older. None of them are Pekins, but one of them is a White Hybrid Layer which is part Pekin, I think. Is that right @WannaBeHillBilly?
Ah. The two light colored ones looked like my pekins when they were babies.

Yesterday afternoon I was cleaning out a barrel that I had planned on using as an automatic waterer for the ducks and just happened to let the water run while I scrubbed. Guess who suddenly appeared? Oh yes, the duckies. But I will have to say that at least they don’t get right in my way like the chickens do. All the sticks and nuts and leaves created a little dam that allowed a decent puddle to form. Oh yeah, they were happy!

If you mix water with anything (dirt, leaves, hay, shavings), it all of a sudden becomes a big duck party...Ducks Making Their Own Fun!
It may be fun to watch, but they can create some good holes in concentrated spots like that. Ours created a hole by our pool as deep as the beaks are long, and about a foot wide. Courtesy of all 6 of our ducks and the amount of times we need to drain our swimming pool (i'm surprised they haven't figured out how to get in it yet)

Yesterday got a little warm (especially when you add in humidity) and I wanted to work on my project of my continuous duck waterer, but my little side kick didn’t really want to stay out with me. So I thought, let’s get the sprinkler out. 💡 Fully clothed with his mud boots on, MK changed his mind and decided to stay out with me. He loves the water...and can’t get in the duck pools, for obvious reasons, so running through the it satisfied him, and the ducks too! I was Killing Two Birds With One Water Hose! Smart me! 😂

I loved it especially when he slipped and promptly went to wash his booty off. Not to mention the sloshing noises coming from his water-filled boots! 🤣

Back
Top Bottom