My Lovely Chicken Attacked By A Cat

judyhall

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 8, 2010
Hello, I wonder if any one can help me. One of my five chcikens was attacked yesterday by a cat.
She now has a withered claw and her wing looks out of line.
I have seperated her, put her in lots of straw with her own food and water.
She is so quiet and can hardly move, what does anyone one think.
I must be able to do something. I have only kept my chickens since summer (5 of them) and i adore them. They are so happy,friendly and have got a soul i could never have imagined.
What should i do?
Thank you in advance.

Flush out any wounds with warm water and saline(salt) or warm water and peroxide. Apply antibiotic ointment to wounds also, cat wounds can become infected, so keep them clean, possible antibiotic if available. Keep her isolated from the rest of the flock, keep her warm with food and water near by so she can reach it, also some electrolyte solution in her water might give her strength. Chickens do seem to heal quick quickly if you can keep infection away, good luck with her

Thank you so much for your reply.
Will do everything you say and suggest.
I will keep you posted if thats ok.
Thanks again. x

Sorry to hear about your hen. One of mine damaged her wing once when she got frightened and flew against the wire and the wing was drooping so I cut the neck and sleeves out of a very small t shirt and slipped that over her to hold her wing in place. It worked well and her wing healed correctly. You could use a baby vest, that would work too.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your reply.
With your information and the previous persons advice i dont feel as helpless now.
I am determined that she will get better.
Thank you again. xxx
JudyHall
Manchester
United Kingdom

Quote:
Yes follow tammye's advice, I had a 2 month old cockeral get attacked by an opossum and I did basically just what tammye has said above and he has heald and has grown into a beautiful rooster
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom