My male duck is making weird noises???

Goat Lover 3

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Lately, I have been noticing that my Ancona drake has been making strange noises! He cranes his neck and makes a funny sounding quack and then makes a high pitched sound, as though he's burping!? I called the vet about a week ago, and I told them what was going on. The vet told me it sounded like he had an infection, and prescribed some antibiotics to give to my drake and my hen, (just in case she had a infection too). I squirted, I think it was 2cc of antibiotics in each duck's mouth once a day, for three days. It seemed to help for a few days, then I noticed him making weird noises again! He was making these strange sounds a lot yesterday. Does this sound normal, or is it something else?

This is a picture of my hen and my drake.

The duck in the video sounds exactly like the strange sounds my duck makes! I can't believe I ran to town and got them antibiotics for his mating call! Thank you for the video! :)

You're very welcome. It's pretty hilarious once you know there's nothing wrong, huh? :)
Have you seen your pair start mating yet? I only had boys for a long time, and once I brought girls in, it was funny all over again. They quack around and stick their necks out and stuff, and often the boys will run around afterward and make that honking-squeaking noise. Ducks are so entertaining, lol.

Yes, it is funny now that I know why he does his weird sounds! Yes, I have seen them mate. Yes, ducks are very amusing to watch. They really get into their baths! LOL!

Can you send another link to the video or describe the noise?
My Indian runner drakes are making a faint horn sound. He cranes his neck and puffs his chest out and then a strange noises comes after. I have never heard this from them before but they are less than a year old.

Is your drake in the pool or pond when he does this? When my drake Bean is feeling studly, he pumps his feet, flaps his wings, extends his neck and belches. At least, that's what it sounds like.

Back
Top Bottom