My male quail turns aggressive

I am sorry, this is so sad. I am not familiar with quail but I do know with chickens, mean roos are hard to deal with. Also, in nature, males will breed multiple hens. He may be frustrated by having only one hen...
I just read your thread about her laying abnormal eggs. Sometimes healthy birds will attack sick ones. Maybe he is picking on her because she is weak right now. I hope your little girl will get well, I am so sorry...tears for you my friend.

I am sorry, this is so sad. I am not familiar with quail but I do know with chickens, mean roos are hard to deal with. Also, in nature, males will breed multiple hens. He may be frustrated by having only one hen...
I just read your thread about her laying abnormal eggs. Sometimes healthy birds will attack sick ones. Maybe he is picking on her because she is weak right now. I hope your little girl will get well, I am so sorry...tears for you my friend.

Thank you.

I'm fine now just gotta do what best to my quails.
and my hen just laid huge normal egg today that made me really relief.
but my roo just kept attacking her like 7 times today, so I separated them now.
They always slept next to each other.. nature is cruel but I'm gonna deal with it.

Aww yay! I am SO glad she laid a normal egg today! That is great news! :ya:yesss:
Yes, keeping them with a wall between them where they can still see each other will be best. I wish you could have at least another hen. I hope things get better!

31230459_1887902271260556_337149704392480657_n.jpg

gonna leave this picture of my hen, Her name is Nath.
if I'm done with getting stuffs for them I want to make a new thread and upload some cute pictures of them.

My roo named Sora.

more update about this.
my roo turns super aggressive over night.
and now not just he's super aggressive to my hen.
but on my hand too.

he pecked my hand and kicked badly when I tried to change the bowl of food or water.
I understand now why many people just said I should get rid of this kind of bird.

but I really can't do it, all I can do now is just accept the fact and take care of this crazy aggressive roo until he's gone by himself.

DcK9pZrU0AA85ps.jpg

Wow, that's quite something. Don't think I've ever read of a quail attacking people before. I wonder if you could teach him not to? My dad had a gander once - my dad could pet him, mostly he'd just walk away if the rest of us tried. But if we weren't looking at him, he'd come after us - but stop the chase once we turned around..
At one point he was in an enclosure with a goose and he'd put his head through the fence and grab your trousers if you were standing within reach. I decided to teach him that was a bad idea so I grabbed his head when he put it through the fence and held on until I felt he'd probably got the message. He stayed several feet from the fence when I was near, since then ^^
Perhaps you could just pick the quail up when he attacks you? I suppose he might kill himself trying to get loose if you just grabbed his head.

I did try several things like grabbing him up when he pecked on my hand and let him lied on his back on my hand for a while then put him down.
or just bribed him with meal worms
but he still keeps attacking.

I don't think they're smart enough to be teachable like that..

Yes, it's his mature temper, not your fault at all; some roos are aggressive. It happens. I feel sad for you and your hen. She deserves a kind mate. Any way you could re-home this roo and get another one for your hennie? You are a good quail parent, they are both lucky to have you. :hugs

Quail are definitely smart enough to be trained, but you can't train an aggressive animal out of being aggressive. When it's not fearful behavior, which this isn't, it's just the personality.

Back
Top Bottom