My male quail turns aggressive

Coffgirl

Chirping
Apr 5, 2018
Thailand
and I start to have more problem.

like the male one was really calmed and never be aggressive before even he keeps mating with the female for 2 weeks now.

but now he just changed from really calmed and dashed out to peck on the female and tore of her feather with no reason, he didn't even want to get on her back.

at first it's only once per 2 days or so.
but today the male just chased and tore off the feather from the female 4 times today already.

and I tried to separate them but they're calling to each other.
I'm really afraid about stressed will build up from this.

but without separating them, the male attacked the female sometimes and don't really know when it will happen.

He also made some kind of "kakakakaka" noise while attacking every time.

any best solution about this?

I keep them as a pet, so I only have 2 quails.

Last edited:
Coturnix roos usually need at least 3 hens to keep them happy. If they only have one, they'll often need to live in an aviary or similar so the hen has room to get away if the roo gets aggressive or wants to mate when she doesn't.
Some roos are so docile they can live happily in a normal cage with just one hen, but it's rare.
Separating them for a couple of weeks might work, but it might also just make him even more aggressive when he gets back with her. Swapping him for another roo might also work, or the new one could be even worse. Swapping him for a hen is probably the solution that's most likely to work, but don't just toss the new hen into the cage with the old one if you decide to go that way. Introductions have to be done carefully.

I had 4 young hens slowly introduced into my existing flock via a cage. I let them out and everything was fine. We let them out of the divider in the evening. Morning came everything was still ok. I came home to My young girls bleeding and bald. They were tame now they are showing signs of trauma and losing their minds when I get near them. They have been removed and brought inside to heal :( wound spray has been applied and now they are in their inside hone with a blanket over them. Will they be ok? I feel like they are showing signs of PTSD. Please help!
:welcome Welcome and sorry to hear, Quail are very hardy and do heal quickly. They should be fine as long as no infection, and your wound spray should help with that. I would keep them separate until fully healed before reintroduction.

31230459_1887902271260556_337149704392480657_n.jpg

gonna leave this picture of my hen, Her name is Nath.
if I'm done with getting stuffs for them I want to make a new thread and upload some cute pictures of them.

My roo named Sora.

hmm, the best solution is to separate them in to each cage.
I don't think I'll get him back in the same cage with female because I don't think he'll change.
I'll keep that in mind that I need at least 3 females per 1 male.

when I bought them I just thought about they need a friend when I am not home.
and I didn't know which is male or female just hope there were all female but it turns out to be male and female.

I really don't have a room for more quail so I'll just separate them for now.

thank you. x.x

I am sorry, this is so sad. I am not familiar with quail but I do know with chickens, mean roos are hard to deal with. Also, in nature, males will breed multiple hens. He may be frustrated by having only one hen...
I just read your thread about her laying abnormal eggs. Sometimes healthy birds will attack sick ones. Maybe he is picking on her because she is weak right now. I hope your little girl will get well, I am so sorry...tears for you my friend.

I am sorry, this is so sad. I am not familiar with quail but I do know with chickens, mean roos are hard to deal with. Also, in nature, males will breed multiple hens. He may be frustrated by having only one hen...
I just read your thread about her laying abnormal eggs. Sometimes healthy birds will attack sick ones. Maybe he is picking on her because she is weak right now. I hope your little girl will get well, I am so sorry...tears for you my friend.

Thank you.

I'm fine now just gotta do what best to my quails.
and my hen just laid huge normal egg today that made me really relief.
but my roo just kept attacking her like 7 times today, so I separated them now.
They always slept next to each other.. nature is cruel but I'm gonna deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom