My male quail turns aggressive

I had 4 young hens slowly introduced into my existing flock via a cage. I let them out and everything was fine. We let them out of the divider in the evening. Morning came everything was still ok. I came home to My young girls bleeding and bald. They were tame now they are showing signs of trauma and losing their minds when I get near them. They have been removed and brought inside to heal :( wound spray has been applied and now they are in their inside hone with a blanket over them. Will they be ok? I feel like they are showing signs of PTSD. Please help!

I had 4 young hens slowly introduced into my existing flock via a cage. I let them out and everything was fine. We let them out of the divider in the evening. Morning came everything was still ok. I came home to My young girls bleeding and bald. They were tame now they are showing signs of trauma and losing their minds when I get near them. They have been removed and brought inside to heal :( wound spray has been applied and now they are in their inside hone with a blanket over them. Will they be ok? I feel like they are showing signs of PTSD. Please help!
:welcome Welcome and sorry to hear, Quail are very hardy and do heal quickly. They should be fine as long as no infection, and your wound spray should help with that. I would keep them separate until fully healed before reintroduction.

:welcome Welcome and sorry to hear, Quail are very hardy and do heal quickly. They should be fine as long as no infection, and your wound spray should help with that. I would keep them separate until fully healed before reintroduction.
Yes this morning they looked so much better (wound wise)I feel absolutely terrible. They are acting very scared though (I completely get it) do you think they will eventually calm down? And be able to be calm again?

Side note we are going to be doing a divder and separate house in cage. We absolutely can't let that happen to them again

Side note we are going to be doing a divder and separate house in cage. We absolutely can't let that happen to them again
This thread is 5-6 years old, just fyi.

As for your hens, they'll be fine - but I recommend getting rid of the roo. Separating them will help, but the roo is likely going to be distressed and crow for the hens and the hens might even call for him back despite his violent behavior. I would not ever put them back together as your roo is almost certainly not going to change - I have personally tried changing a roo with all sorts of tactics and they simply do not 'calm down.'

Back
Top Bottom