my mallard drake now looks female

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chixie, Jun 12, 2009.

1. chixie

chixie Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I had 3 mallard drakes... one was killed by dogs ... now one lookes like a hen... his green head is nomore... he even lost his little curly feather... he is a year and a half old...why did this happen? i thought i was crazy...

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Songster

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    It's completely normal for drakes to lose their breeding plumage. He's in his "eclipse" plumage right now, where they resemble females.

3. streemers

streemers Songster

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    chixie

happy i read this i would pooh myself if my drake turned to a hen lol

4. chixie

chixie Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    It was a real shock ... there is absolutelyno green on his head anymore... i almost thought someone was messing with mymind and switched ducks on me...lol

5. Oh do drakes do this often?

Mine is starting to get brown on his head and is molting like crazy. Will he do this every year?

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Yes every year when the mating season is over the boys take off their bright colors (there to attract the ladies) and get dull so the predators can't find them so easily.

7. chixie

chixie Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    i don't know why i couldn't think of that... my other drake is stating to do that now

8. alaskaduckgirl

alaskaduckgirl In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    Do rouen drakes do the same thing?

9. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    my mallard boys going through his fall moult right now, he's lost ALL that attractive silver on his belly, and the rust on his neck and chest, and now his head is losing his green feathers and...he looks absolutely depressed! LOL

10. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Songster

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    My boys are done with the molt...They looked funny as girls..The darker one was killed 2 months ago...I sure miss him so does his brother...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: