My Meat Birds Are Dying

being that they are meaties and if you see my threads I have delt with coci a lot lately. I have done the Corid and amprol and organic thing all worked.

Seeing that you are gonna process soon I would go with the amprol (not an antibiotic) and powdered milk in their feed. I have had very good sucess and no loss doing that with my show girls recently. I use a powdered goats milk cause that is what i could find in an organic form at the time. love it!

Quote:
I will try to find some tomorrow and Thanks So Much.

Last year I fed them starter/grower and I think that's what the problem is this year. I have been feeding them the wild game because it is higher in protein.

Hope it's not too late to correct it.

If you've not been feeding medicated, it is possible that they have had low levels of cocci in their systems the whole time, not enough to make them sick, but enough to stunt them. The bloody poo is likly from a bird who just happened to succumb to too much build up in their system which would ordinary be prevented with amprolium medicated feed as it inhibits the growth of the cocci. If your area or time of year is conducive to high cocci levels, even if the start grow is a bit less in protein, the med's might help them thrive and grow just as fast. Of course, the source of chicks can also make a difference, just an idea.

Quote:
Silkie.....I really think it's the feed I've been using. I had read so many people post on here that they feed high protein feed. I thought mine took too long to grow last year and thought I could correct that this year with different feed.

I will have to get the Amprol tomorrow and switch feeds.

I got 25 layer chicks from the same source and they are thriving. I doubt it's the hatchery.

Thanks for the heads up.

Best of luck. One thing I think that keeps many "backyard" raisers from reaching the "target" weights at 42 days is the fact we don't normally keep them in environmentally controlled warehouses 24/7. They can get a bit cold at night, get some wind during the day, a bit more running, and a bit more life, which results in spent energy vs energy into weight. But I see it as a bit more time, healthy birds, healthy food.

Back
Top Bottom