My Minorca hen.

mssmartypantsxx

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 6, 2013
New Zealand
The day i introduced my hen Mini to our rooster, he attacked her. I seperated them for about two weeks. When i put them back he was fine with her. But a few weeks later i caught him viciously attacking her. She kept away from him for a few months then recently he'd ripped her neck feathers off. I treated her neck with antiseptic. The next day she had a massive hole on her neck, and the next day it happened again so i cleaned her up, soaked her in water and comforted her. I held her for 8 hours and she finally fell asleep. When she did she started screaming. Like person screaming. But she was definitely asleep.
During the daytime she hides in our paddock with long grass, with my goat. My goat likes to stay near her.

My theories are:
The My plymouth rock doesn't like her because when we got her she had lg mites.
Or because she's a Minorca and the other three are rhode islands.
or Because she has a rooster look, maybe he thinks she's a boy.

But the poor girl is lonely and traumatized. Should i get her a friend or would that pick on her too. Any suggestions to build her confidence back.

Also she's unable to walk properly due to the leg mites. (we're treating them by the way)

Did you get her and just add her to the coop? If so, that is why she is being attacked. Chickens are very protective of their "flock" and will attack any outsider. You need to gradually introduce them by giving them a separate area where they can see each other. This gives them time to get used to each other and give them an opportunity to become part of the flock.

You need to keep her isolated until she heals completely. If the rooster continues to attack the hen after this, then I'd rehome the rooster to the soup pot.

The roosters name is Rocky and we've owned him for 6 years. He's family, i couldn't get rid of him.

We bought 3 new hens, and got Miss Mini for free.

We're going to build a coop for Rocky and his ladies and let Mini free range. I'll buy another lonely chicken and introduce them two slowly.

water with iodine, thoroughly dry. soak in oil. scrub clean with soap and tooth brush. Thoroughly dry again. Then put vasaline in all the nokks and crannies

Oh poor girl! He will probably come around to getting along with her as Happy Chooks said after seeing each other through the fence for a time.

I do a dip in mineral oil (veg oil will work too) for leg mites, for at least two weeks, daily or every other day. It smothers the mites. Two weeks is necessary for the life cycle of the mites. Also I dust the bird and treat the coop.

Last edited:
yeah, i treat the coop too. I've been treating her for 3 months now, little improvement, not much. As dor the bumblefoot, we'll get that sorted soon. The poor girl struggles to walk

Back
Top Bottom