My Mixed Flock

MaryL

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Thought I would post photos of my small mixed flock. The BCM's and the partridge Cochin were hatched May 1st and the Light Brahmas are going on 7 months old. Am thinking about adding two black Ameracuana pullets to the mix as I am fascinated with their blue eggs. I understand they are a non-aggressive breed but would like to hear from others who have them as to their characteristics. Am thoroughly enjoying the chickens and spend lots of time watching them......great entertainment.

91707_img_6879.jpg
91707_img_6868.jpg
91707_img_6889.jpg
91707_img_6881_2.jpeg

Mary

That pullet in the last photo looks a lot like my gal, Little Sister. All of them look good!

Many thanks for the nice reply. Are your Jersey Giants larger than the Brahmas......sometimes I think I could saddle my LB's up and go for a ride.

Mary

Just wait. . . . Your Brahmas (if they're non-hatchery as they look) will get HUGE. They'll far surpass the Marans there.
smile.png

Thanks to all for the nice replies. Yes, my Light Brahmas came from a breeder...........they are large girls, but oh so gentle. Keep your fingers crossed that my two black Ameracuana pullets will be coming my way.

Still doing rain dances as Texas has literally dried up and as of late burned up! The wild fires have been devasting to so many in areas close to where I live. My heart goes out to all those whose homes were destroyed. Finally got a break in the temperature as the last two days have only been in the high 90's............hottest summer on record.

What lovely hens!
Be sure to quarantine your new additions and have a fecal test done by a local vet. That fecal test can tell you if your new hens have coccidia, worms, gapeworms or another threat to your healthy flock. I would also recommend you quarantine on cement not soil. I just quarantined some hens on a corner of my yard. When I found they had cocci in the stool, I had to dig out the dirt in that area of the yard to be sure to remove all the oocytes that are shed in their stool. The oocytes can live in the soil for up to 4 years and our vet said only removing the soil or having a FIRE on the soil will kill the oocytes. Bleach will not kill it in soil although it may kill it on plastic or cement. So do be very careful to keep your flock healthy! God bless. p.s. in the case of cocci, you may want to return the hens. That can live in the intestines for years and shed repeatedly. Even after treatment.

Back
Top Bottom