my mom who does not like chickens....

ticks

Pheasant Obsessed
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
The Sticks, Vermont
Wants me to move my chicks which are 3 weeks old into their brooder outside in the garage with a heat lamp. I have 2 if I need them to have more heat. What are your thoughts?

If it is sheltered from wind and you have a themometer, it should be fine. If you can set their brooder up off the floor that should help with keeping it warmer.

How can your mom not like baby chickens?
hmm.png

I love my baby chicks, but after having 2 batches in the house this spring, one with 50 chicks, and the other with 25 there was so much dust from them flapping around and the smell! Even though I kept it cleaned out every other day it was getting pretty funny that the house smelled like a barn!
Next spring we will have a little brooder built in the garage!!!

With a heat lamp they will be fine. I move my chicks outside at 1 & 2 weeks all the time. I just moved my 1 week olds out yesterday it's so much easier.

They will be fine in the garage. I too did the cellar thing in the past and they just make to much of a mess and the older they get the more they smell. Last spring I did the garage with a heat lamp and they did fine even with quite a few still very cool days and nights.
And I LOVE the sticks of Vermont! Good Luck, they will be fine. Oh and it you brooder is a cage I covered it partway with a towel to prevent drafts.

Keep a real close eye on them. In VT you are still getting night temps in the 30's and maybe even lower depending on your definition of 'in the sticks' ......LOL So be careful and good luck.

Last edited:
I actually moved my 1 1/2 week old chicks out to the coop in their brooder 3 days ago, with the heat lamp of course! I check on them regularly and they have been doing just fine!

As long as your chicks are in a predator and draft free place AND have their heat lamp, they will be just fine!
smile.png
Moving them out into a secure location will be worth keeping the peace with your mom. You don't want to push the issue and end up having to get rid of them.
smile.png

I used a big wire rabbit cage but lined it with newspaper and then shavings. I also taped cardboard around the sides and back to keep the shavings in, heat lamp attached to top. I don't know how far up in VT you are as far as freezing temps still but between the chicks, the light and if you do use a cage drape a big towel around it to keep out any drafts. Your mother will love you for getting them out of the house. I am sure they will be fine, as I said I have done this as early as the end of March.

Back
Top Bottom