My momma hen just died in my arms, leaving four babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kanga77510, May 23, 2012.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Songster

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    I have four orphan chicks. My hen Dusty just died in my arms. I'm so sad. We've had so many problems raising this batch of chicks. [​IMG] The babies are about four weeks old and starting to feather out a bit. We also live in South Texas and it's getting hot here, usually in the 80s-90s during the day.

Do I need to bring the babies in? Should I hope that another hen takes them in? They've been living with the other hens just fine when momma was watching them. Now I'm not so sure how they'll do. Chip, the other hen who hatched out chicks has been perching with the rest of the flock for a while now, so I'm not sure she'll take them in.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

THey are just about at the age when some of my broodies stop watching them, they -should- be ok.

Sorry for your loss

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I personally would separate them from the older hens you can keep them outside in a cage/brooder/rabbit hutch or take them inside.

I am sorry for your loss :( thats so sad

4. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Songster

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Thanks everyone, I managed to separate them from the main flock. I'm bummed about about the whole thing. RIP, Dusty. You were a good mom and a good hen. [​IMG]

5. cary 1973

cary 1973 Songster

So sorry for your loss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: