My moms dog killed half of my flock (24 chickens)

I'm debating since gray fox are so tiny, like 13 pounds.. Should I risk missing with the rifle in the window or should I sit on the chicken coop with a shotgun instead? Will it notice me and stay away if I try to get close enough for a shotgun?

Don't know what you have for a shotgun ... but a 12 gauge with a full choke and buckshot will reach 50 yards easy ...

I've used full choke and some left over "BB" shot size and killed jack rabbits at 60 plus yards ...

A fox is my main concern. The chickens and my small rescue is a major concern since the leave and the grass sprung. Personally I'd put a trap by the coop every night. I'd rather trap and release it the next day than find my animals dead. And a weasel better catch me on a Sunday.
Seriously thinking about a big dog. foxes seem to stay away when there's a dog around.

I'm interested in what others will have to say on this.

Usually, when a dog kills, there are teeth marks and feathers everywhere. You won't just have dead birds with no signs...unless the dog isn't hunting but playing. He may have chased and chased and chased until they had heart attacks...which could seriously be a possibility.

And I could believe that from a silly labradoodle (which is a lab mix...I've raised lots of Labs in my day...and they do love a silly chase).

But I agree that doesn't account for the 7 birds unless they ran away and are still hiding or died in the bushes somewhere.

There are other possibilities...a coon or bobcat or something.

So sorry for your loss. That is heart breaking. :hugs
LofMc

Hi am new here just figuring out how to post but I am really horrified to hear this. That is nothing short of a murder scene. I wish I could take your pain. Just today my Anatolian livestock dog killed my beautiful partridge Cochin hen. He was eating her. This dog is not want for excellent food. Was so angry at myself for trusting him. One chicken is sad enough. I can't imagine this many but at least they get to go together to heaven. I absolutely know there is heaven because when my husband died there were all kinds of miraculous signs. I know there is a heaven and am sure they are all there but oh boy am I sad for you. Stupid dogs.

I had a wolf hybrid that would go into heat and kill many ducks or chickens at once and then go back and eat them later. Like this dog I have here today, she didn't defeather them. Just eat them whole but for the head or some part. But it was strange at first I couldn't figure out of it was a fox or what cause they'd be missing, and then I'd find 6 dead ducks but no signs of bites, and got a call from a neighbor who found one in her yard so I thought it was a fox but nope- was my "dog". Luckily she was good the rest of the year for all her years. She always took the prettiest ones. It was terrible to see this rare ducks dead. Dogs are freaking jerks. Foxes too I know but at least they have a reason needing to eat. Dogs are just selfish.

:thumbsup:thumbsup
With the chickens taken here by foxes the first hit was 9 chickens taken from inside the barn during the night; just feathers, no blood, no bodies. A wing showed up a year later under a tree. I saw the pups playing with what looked like a carcass a few days later. The next morning the black hen's carcass was beside the house. Dog killed one fox pup, which was close to the carcass...I trapped the other.

Next hit, next year: 9 chickens taken brought daylight about 7:30 at night within a 3/4 hour timespan. Again no blood, no bodies...just feathers. Caught the foxes watching us from across the road...waiting to take more. Fox pups and subordinate female dispatched...end of issues.

I should note that we had guineas and a dog in the yard when they hit in broad daylight. They are super stealthy.

exactly my point they don't just run round chasing them they either kill them there or just grab and go they don't say hey let's play chase then wen the poor things keel over say oh ok I'm off now cya they are like us when we see puled pork we start to slavar and turn greedy lol they are the same chicken slaver food eat everything

My understanding and my experience with foxes is that they kill a bunch at one time and come back and retrieve the carcasses to take to their cache - especially when they have young. My birds were dead with very little in the way of a struggle - just a few feathers here and there.

The fox was dispatched this morning. Male, red fox, 15 pounds. He came around at 5:00 am on the dot and made his attack from the tall grass in the creek. I caught him with the 12ga from maybe 70 feet mid-attack into a cluster of young birds. Somehow I managed not to hit a single bird! Let's hope he's the only one. I will be getting a livestock guardian dog in another year or two but until then this is how I have to do things.

Back
Top Bottom