My month old keets

Kash

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2022
Move the keets from the brooder box to the coop. Why want they go in the box at night? Any suggestions? I’m definitely new at this.

Attachments

• 1F54684C-BCE3-4AAD-A525-A436419D00DE.jpeg
    1F54684C-BCE3-4AAD-A525-A436419D00DE.jpeg
    681 KB · Views: 21
  • 353218FD-A3EC-4E6F-A18F-48C3D9BFE298.jpeg
    353218FD-A3EC-4E6F-A18F-48C3D9BFE298.jpeg
    744.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Is it dark in there? Guineas don't like dark spaces. Sometimes if a few of mine have lingered outside too long and it's gotten dark, I'll flip on the coop light and then they make their way in to roost for the night.

Move the keets from the brooder box to the coop. Why want they go in the box at night? Any suggestions? I’m definitely new at this.
Where was their brooder box? If it wasn’t in the coop, then they do t have a reason to associate the coop with safety. The coop may just be a scary dark box to them. Also, things like ramps and flight doors can be pretty challenging for guineas to navigate. As Isador suggested, a light in the coop at dusk might encourage them to seek the it a lighter area as it becomes dark. Anything else you can do to encourage them to view the coop as a pleasant space would also help. You might try putting a feeder or snacks there. If you’ve started training them to herd, you might be able to herd them in at dusk. However, herding up a ramp is tricky. Best of luck with your adorable little confusion!

I’m in Where was their brooder box? If it wasn’t in the coop, then they do t have a reason to associate the coop with safety. The coop may just be a scary dark box to them. Also, things like ramps and flight doors can be pretty challenging for guineas to navigate. As Isador suggested, a light in the coop at dusk might encourage them to seek the it a lighter area as it becomes dark. Anything else you can do to encourage them to view the coop as a pleasant space would also help. You might try putting a feeder or snacks there. If you’ve started training them to herd, you might be able to herd them in at dusk. However, herding up a ramp is tricky. Best of luck with your adorable little confusion!
I had the brooder box in our shop with a light to keep them warm until they was about a month old then moved them to the coop. It has a box attached to it. I have to put them in the box at dark because they roost under the box rather than going up the ramp into the box. I will have to try the light. Thank you for your reply!!!!

Is it dark in there? Guineas don't like dark spaces. Sometimes if a few of mine have lingered outside too long and it's gotten dark, I'll flip on the coop light and then they make their way in to roost for the night.
Thank you so much! I have heard that guineas don’t like to go back to coop and roost at night. I sure hope mine will too when I start letting them out.

Back
Top Bottom