My month old keets

Thank you so much! I have heard that guineas don’t like to go back to coop and roost at night. I sure hope mine will too when I start letting them out.

You have to give them a coop that they feel comfortable and secure in. Your birds are young and all buddy's, but when they are a year old( if they are lucky enough to get there) their personalities will change drastically. You will have to think of your Guinea flock as a large dysfunctional family who all love being around each other but boy do they have some disagreements!! I made the mistake in my first coop design making it way to small for them once they paired up. The lower pecking order birds did not want to go in because they were harassed and once they started roosting outside even their adversarys started joining them because that is how Guineas are. Guineas want to roost high as if they were in a tree. Do what @R2elk says , build or expand your existing coop so they get accustomed to it and once they start free ranging they will want to go in at night. My first coop
IMG_20200706_073240913-1.jpg
was great for about 7 months then things went south so I built a bigger one and the dysfunctional family took to it well.

Tha
Ok will do thanks so much
You have to give them a coop that they feel comfortable and secure in. Your birds are young and all buddy's, but when they are a year old( if they are lucky enough to get there) their personalities will change drastically. You will have to think of your Guinea flock as a large dysfunctional family who all love being around each other but boy do they have some disagreements!! I made the mistake in my first coop design making it way to small for them once they paired up. The lower pecking order birds did not want to go in because they were harassed and once they started roosting outside even their adversarys started joining them because that is how Guineas are. Guineas want to roost high as if they were in a tree. Do what @R2elk says , build or expand your existing coop so they get accustomed to it and once they start free ranging they will want to go in at night. My first coop View attachment 3118331was great for about 7 months then things went south so I built a bigger one and the dysfunctional family took to it well.
Is that small solar panels that you use for light for them in the coop?

You have to give them a coop that they feel comfortable and secure in. Your birds are young and all buddy's, but when they are a year old( if they are lucky enough to get there) their personalities will change drastically. You will have to think of your Guinea flock as a large dysfunctional family who all love being around each other but boy do they have some disagreements!! I made the mistake in my first coop design making it way to small for them once they paired up. The lower pecking order birds did not want to go in because they were harassed and once they started roosting outside even their adversarys started joining them because that is how Guineas are. Guineas want to roost high as if they were in a tree. Do what @R2elk says , build or expand your existing coop so they get accustomed to it and once they start free ranging they will want to go in at night. My first coop View attachment 3118331was great for about 7 months then things went south so I built a bigger one and the dysfunctional family took to it well.
Thanks for the photos of your coops. Is that solar panels that you use for light in the coop?

Ha @southwind00 - we have really close set ups, except my coops are at either end of the run. He's working on fence, photos when he finishes.

Thanks for the photos of your coops. Is that solar panels that you use for light in the coop?
Yes they are. I also had some actuators hooked up with timers to let the birds out in the AM and to close the doors in the evening. That plan didn't last to long because once the hens go broody I'm out there chasing them off their nests anyway so I hav just started to herd all the birds in myself in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom