My most recent Runner additions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by L0rraine, Aug 9, 2009.

1. CityChicker

CityChicker Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    If you want to sell some of the Saxony Runner eggs or ducklings, definitely let me know! If possible, I would not keep them with the Blues or with solid color ducks. You would indeed end up with a lot of Blues because of the double blue dilution of the Saxony. The solid colors though are Blue in the presence of extended black (and the light dilution of the Saxony would pop up in the second generation too).

Anyway, it all just depends on your breeding goals. I would definitely get eggs from you though! I am sooo jealous that you are close enough to drive there! LOL

2. L0rraine

L0rraine Songster

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Yes, I do think it's all about timing with Holderread's unless you have an order in very early for the season. I thought I would have to order adult blue runners for 2010, but then was fortunate on the availability of this pair.

They are both blues, though the drake is pretty pretty blue/black (nice lacing on the feathers though in the light and up closer) and he said this female started to turn white in her second year pretty fast compared to some, but had actually started out solid. I think she's awfully pretty with her 'speckles' (if one isn't trying to show her).

Thanks for everyone's positive responses - I've been kind of smitten by them.

3. L0rraine

L0rraine Songster

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Quote:So it sounds like you are pretty up on the genetics (I try, but have a long way to go). Will the ducklings from the Saxony Runners (if I keep them separated from the blues) all be Saxony or will I end up with something else in the mix (I suppose I could have asked the Holderreads that question at some point - they have been very nice).

4. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Songster

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Your runners make me wish mine had been very tall and slender. [​IMG]
    Mine are almost mutts...

5. CityChicker

CityChicker Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:So it sounds like you are pretty up on the genetics (I try, but have a long way to go). Will the ducklings from the Saxony Runners (if I keep them separated from the blues) all be Saxony or will I end up with something else in the mix (I suppose I could have asked the Holderreads that question at some point - they have been very nice).

It depends. If both birds are true Saxony, Bl/Bl, li/li, they should breed true. They can be, however, heterozygous for blue dilution or light phase and look almost identical to homozygous. It just all depends on their background and also if there are any other genes involved. I have heard that a lot of Saxony also carry recessive white too. If both of yours do, then you might also end up with some whites here and there. It just all depends.

6. GrannySue

GrannySue Songster

Well, I know how to get to where you live because I've actually been there! A friend of mine used to live there.
    So I'll be along to pick up some eggs any day now.

Oh wait, I don't have a passport or even one of those fancy driver's licenses so I can't get across the border.
    [​IMG]

7. streemers

streemers Songster

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    very beautiful ducks! how many runners do you have now?

8. L0rraine

L0rraine Songster

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Quote:Five - counting my little blue from you. [​IMG] She's still a little smaller than everyone else - and VERY sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: