My muscovy duckling keeps scratching its neck

Brandon96

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2021
Hey all,

I rescued a muscovy duckling a few weeks ago and been taking care of it. We have it in a cage with plankets and peepee pads. Recently, it's been scratching its throat/neck, which has caused kind of a balt spot there and a little bit of bleeding.

Does anyone here know what this could be about? Please reply as soon as possible.

-Brandon.

:welcome
Can you post a picture of the ducklings neck? When they start to lose down it must be itchy especially when those pin feathers begin to appear. Do you let your duckling swim in nice warm water? swimming helps them to start preening and spreading the oils over their body to waterproof themselves. Bathing also is fun. Just always be sure they don't chill and when done pat dry and put in a warm place to finish drying.
What are you feeding your duckling?
You might also check for mites they look like tiny blk pepper and move fast but on a small duckling who has only down they'd be easy to spot. Bathing will help alleviate any parasites. I'd venture to say that isn't the problem though.

:welcome
Can you post a picture of the ducklings neck? When they start to lose down it must be itchy especially when those pin feathers begin to appear. Do you let your duckling swim in nice warm water? swimming helps them to start preening and spreading the oils over their body to waterproof themselves. Bathing also is fun. Just always be sure they don't chill and when done pat dry and put in a warm place to finish drying.
What are you feeding your duckling?
You might also check for mites they look like tiny blk pepper and move fast but on a small duckling who has only down they'd be easy to spot. Bathing will help alleviate any parasites. I'd venture to say that isn't the problem though.
Thanks for responding. This is the best picture of its neck that I could get from it (it doesn't like me picking it up like that)

jDiFeBu.jpg

Yes, I do give it a warm bath every night.

As for what I feed it, I use

MannaPro Ducking & Gosling Starter Grower Crumbles
Zilla Reptile Munchies Mealworms

Hey all,

I rescued a muscovy duckling a few weeks ago and been taking care of it. We have it in a cage with plankets and peepee pads. Recently, it's been scratching its throat/neck, which has caused kind of a balt spot there and a little bit of bleeding.

Does anyone here know what this could be about? Please reply as soon as possible.

-Brandon.

I have the same problem my Muscovy is semi wild he just arrived in my field and I have fed it ever since
He has got a very sore neck it's very red and raw
Has anyone got an idea what I can do he won't let me pick him up or touch him

Is this a drake? most likely he is injured from fighting. My drakes had to be kept separate from each other when I had 4 Muscovy drakes. Fighting is second nature to them. Only way your going to be able to treat him is to catch him. Do you have a pen set up you might lure him in with feed or a treat then be able to catch him and treat him.

Back
Top Bottom