My Myshire farms snowie hatch

Pics
Also the eggs were in 2 different incubators, so mechanical failure in both is unlikely, and I have them hooked up to ups backups in case of power failure.

Upon closer inspection, 2 of the blind ones are albinos. It’s very hard to see because they’re so small, it’ll probably be easier to spot as they grow. Pebble has some feathers starting finally, it is not an albino and is not blind.

Upon closer inspection, 2 of the blind ones are albinos. It’s very hard to see because they’re so small, it’ll probably be easier to spot as they grow. Pebble has some feathers starting finally, it is not an albino and is not blind.
Are they eating? I wish I had gotten my albino to eat. I keep mine as pets and wouldn’t have minded a special needs house quail, although I’m sure they can be annoying...

E285C2F3-F568-4BC0-B407-46503CF42A0B.jpeg
Spoiled little birds... I just made them a little hut. (not in photo, the pic is from yesterday)

Are they eating? I wish I had gotten my albino to eat. I keep mine as pets and wouldn’t have minded a special needs house quail, although I’m sure they can be annoying...
They eat and drink fine. The ones in the main brooder are progressing as fast as the others and are big and fat and feathering nicely. The ones in the special needs brooder are a few days behind and progressing nicely. There’s another small one, he can see, but maybe not well, and is not feathering. I’m hoping the nutridrench will help them catch up. Even Popeye does great now. I like the blind ones because they snuggle my fingers because they don’t know how big I am. You can tell the blind ones because they don’t try to get away until you pick them up. But, cute as they are, I don’t want to breed more blind birds.

They cheep constantly! Worse than sighted chicks, even when they aren’t lost.

They eat and drink fine. The ones in the main brooder are progressing as fast as the others and are big and fat and feathering nicely. The ones in the special needs brooder are a few days behind and progressing nicely. There’s another small one, he can see, but maybe not well, and is not feathering. I’m hoping the nutridrench will help them catch up. Even Popeye does great now. I like the blind ones because they snuggle my fingers because they don’t know how big I am. You can tell the blind ones because they don’t try to get away until you pick them up. But, cute as they are, I don’t want to breed more blind birds.

They cheep constantly! Worse than sighted chicks, even when they aren’t lost.
Oof, yes my albino screamed constantly. Being blind is no way for a bird that depends mostly on sight to live.

Oof, yes my albino screamed constantly. Being blind is no way for a bird that depends mostly on sight to live.

This! I have a partially blind hen, mom and dad are normal quail with no disabilities. She loves belly scratches and is very sweet. But because of her poor eyesight she has a hard time reading the other birds body language, thankfully her friends are all very docile. When she gets the zoomies she constantly crashes into objects, so the aviary is now baby proof. She doesn't eat greens or takes threats, only when I put them into a huge bowl and put her inside that bowl. She recently learned that obstacles aren't always a dead end and that she can climb over things. After this experience I can't imagine how a fully blind quail could possible get along in life. :(

The albinos are easier to spot now that they’re getting bigger, the eye color is visible without picking them up. I’m up to 3 albinos.

I went back and forth via email with Myshire, and he is giving me a refund, so problem solved on that front. I was worried they would send me eggs after I filled the incubator, so I cooked the earliest eggs I had collected lol in order to wait an extra day to fill it.

I’m going to try to raise the blind ones to adults to eat them so it won’t be a total loss. Unfortunately, I was so excited to get snowies, and I’m down to 8 healthy ones, let’s hope by some miracle I have 6 hens and 2 Roos haha, I want to cross them into my celadons.

Here are some pics, they are 6-7 days old in the main brooder, some of the sick bay group are 5 days old, but most were weak hatchers in that group. There’s a second one slow to develop, who is way smaller than the rest, he’s an albino, and I think maybe I’ll call him speck. He and Pebble have gotten a few feathers starting to grow in, and they act otherwise normal, Speck is not blind, but may become blind later.

Little Speck, you can see how small it is even compared to other small chicks.
D75A84AC-B02B-4A8B-AC89-C9765F7D52A9.jpeg
CBEC7B25-2637-4E3E-8E4E-ABB36BE6F356.jpeg

Here’s the main brooder group, there’s 17 left in there, and 6 in sick bay. I knew someone who wanted the ones that were falb fee and pearl, so a dozen went there.
47EBF761-F670-4350-B8D3-76DE1926C7B5.jpeg

And here’s Pebble with one of the normal chicks:
3C94E46F-A08A-411F-995F-7C26C3407C16.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom