My Nearly Finished Coop

Bought 6 ladies about 6 weeks ago and had to rush them a coop to live in, because laying eggs in my basement was simply not an option. Haha

This coop was inspired by many coops I found here, as well as elsewhere on the web. It will be getting a paint job in the coming days, and we'll be adding a few DIY feeders and waterers in the run, finish up the landscaping around the coop and a poop hammock under the roost. If you have any questions or comments on the coop and run I will be happy to answer them.

P. S. The orange strap was to secure the nesting box until I could get the latch added. The floor was also covered in a cheap laminate to allow for easier cleaning.
View attachment 1427293 View attachment 1427293 View attachment 1427294 View attachment 1427295 View attachment 1427293 View attachment 1427294 View attachment 1427295 View attachment 1427296 View attachment 1427297 View attachment 1427298 View attachment 1427299 View attachment 1427301 View attachment 1427302 View attachment 1427303

Clearly you have some very good carpentry skills! That is a very nice and amazing Coop.

I'm not sure where you live and where your climate is, but if you live where it gets cold those vent windows are going to be an issue. A lot of people get confused when making vents thinking that holes are great way for air travel. Holes create draft. And if you look for vents for homes to the roof they're built in a certain way to stop air movement directly.

So if you live like where I live and it gets very cold during the winter time it's going to be no difference than being outside what does strong wind. Birds can tolerate some very cold weather but it's the draft in the wind that really hurts them..

But ultimately you could be like in California Arizona or Florida and my post would be worthless to you. But anybody reading this should keep that in mind but when it comes to building their coop!!

Once again great job I would just stain in it!!

You can add your location on your profile. I also noticed that the one vent could be a problem in cold weather. Because you did so much research, I figured you knew what you were doing. Here in North Texas, you cant have too much ventilation. I thought we had plenty of ventilation but then last winter several of my chickens got frostbite on their combs. We had to add more. I’m pretty sure it’s drafty now!

Clearly you have some very good carpentry skills! That is a very nice and amazing Coop.

I'm not sure where you live and where your climate is, but if you live where it gets cold those vent windows are going to be an issue. A lot of people get confused when making vents thinking that holes are great way for air travel. Holes create draft. And if you look for vents for homes to the roof they're built in a certain way to stop air movement directly.

So if you live like where I live and it gets very cold during the winter time it's going to be no difference than being outside what does strong wind. Birds can tolerate some very cold weather but it's the draft in the wind that really hurts them..

But ultimately you could be like in California Arizona or Florida and my post would be worthless to you. But anybody reading this should keep that in mind but when it comes to building their coop!!

Once again great job I would just stain in it!!

I live in Maryland and the winters are mild. That being said, all the vents you see have corresponding covers that mount to the inside of the coop to fight off the drafts in cold weather. I think they are sufficient, but only time will tell. I will take a few photos of them in so you can see what I did.

I do appreciate your feedback and look forward to additional feedback as well from you and the others.

Thanks
Chris

Block the nests so they can't get into them.
If they are of laying age, block nests an hour before roost time, then uncover after dark when you lock up.

I hacked a hinged cover that's easy to use and always ready to go if I need it.
full

Covered up the nesting box this afternoon, went to check on them about 10 minutes ago and all 6 were huddled up on the roost. Thanks for the suggestion!!

That being said, all the vents you see have corresponding covers that mount to the inside of the coop to fight off the drafts in cold weather.
Covering the windows in winter will be necessary to keep drafts off the birds while on the roost, but then you have no ventilation(that I can see).
They need ventilation all year round.
Maybe your covers allow some air flow, I guess I should have waited to see them before posting this, but...
I'd lower the roost to just above the top of nest height(will help with the small landing area too), remove the wood blocking the eaves front and back(and cover with HC), and add another vent up high on the wall between coop and run.
Ventilation is tough in small coop.
Here's a pretty good discussion about vents vs drafts:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts

@aart Sorry if this derails this thread, but why do you have a box fan in your coop?
To blow cool(er) air into coop late in the day from the shaded east end of coop. Coop shed in full sun from about 1-2pm on, it can get brutally hot in there. It's not the most effective, but can help a great deal, tho not always. I do not leave fan running all night due to fire phobia.

Awesome information @aart. I did research coop design and completely misunderstood the concept of ventilation in the coop. Just read. The thread you passed along and I have some ideas.

The concept is, fresh air in and stale air out without creating a tornado. My coop, I think would require approximately 20 fresh air changes per hour? Using a computer fan at about 50cfm pushing fresh air in (20 more than I need) and some drawing fans, or well placed vent holes, we could cycle the air 20+ times an hour without much air turbulence. Positive pressure woukd be tough, cause my carpentry skills are not that good... Haha

Thanks
Chris

Awesome information @aart. I did research coop design and completely misunderstood the concept of ventilation in the coop. Just read. The thread you passed along and I have some ideas.

The concept is, fresh air in and stale air out without creating a tornado. My coop, I think would require approximately 20 fresh air changes per hour? Using a computer fan at about 50cfm pushing fresh air in (20 more than I need) and some drawing fans, or well placed vent holes, we could cycle the air 20+ times an hour without much air turbulence. Positive pressure woukd be tough, cause my carpentry skills are not that good... Haha

Thanks
Chris
I don't know the air flow numbers for coops, tho I am semi familiar with them from where I worked. Most here use passive ventilation and go 'by nose' to tell if it's enough and/or hygrometers and thermometers to compare inside coop and outside, as you can't have less humidity/temp in the coop than is what's outside it.

If you're going to use fans you'd have to consider velocity and the size and location of your in and out openings...and the risks of electricity in the coop, as well as dust. Coop fans. like barn fans should be 'dust proof' if you're going to use them for exhaust.

Bought 6 ladies about 6 weeks ago and had to rush them a coop to live in, because laying eggs in my basement was simply not an option. Haha

This coop was inspired by many coops I found here, as well as elsewhere on the web. It will be getting a paint job in the coming days, and we'll be adding a few DIY feeders and waterers in the run, finish up the landscaping around the coop and a poop hammock under the roost. If you have any questions or comments on the coop and run I will be happy to answer them.

P. S. The orange strap was to secure the nesting box until I could get the latch added. The floor was also covered in a cheap laminate to allow for easier cleaning.
View attachment 1427293 View attachment 1427293 View attachment 1427294 View attachment 1427295 View attachment 1427293 View attachment 1427294 View attachment 1427295 View attachment 1427296 View attachment 1427297 View attachment 1427298 View attachment 1427299 View attachment 1427301 View attachment 1427302 View attachment 1427303
Great coop. You should be happy with your work, the hens will.

Back
Top Bottom