My neighbor is complaining about my rooster :/

I had a wonderful Bantam rooster for years in a densely populated area. at night he slept I a cat carrier in my car, which dulled the sound, so the neighbors were ok. He ran free all day. If you do this, you do need to be aware of temperatures and get up early to let him out, but it worked for us!

Last edited:
ACRES?

The offending Roo is ACRES away from the neighbor?

FOR HIS CLOSER INSPECTION, GATHER SOME BROCHURES FOR SOME GATED COMMUNITIES WITH PLENTY OF HOA COVENANTS WHERE HE MIGHT BE MORE COMFORTABLE AND REMIND HIM THAT THE ZONING IS IN YOUR FAVOR.

AND TELL HIM THAT PERHAPS A MUZZLE MIGHT BEST SUIT HIM.

***steaming about the erosion of private property rights and personal liberties***

We got our first flock of chickens two years ago, at that point in time we didn't want a roo due to the crowing. Neighbors (quite a few) have roo's and they crow every morning. Finally this year when we got more chicks we kept 2 of the 4 roo's that we ended up with, figuring that there are roo's in the area 2 more aren't going to matter. So far our neighbor hasn't complained (we have 1/2 acre lots). They only crow at day break, and through out the day. It's to the point that we don't even notice them.

OK. Could not read it all, tell your neighbor to live with it or move. You don't want to hear anymore whining from him.

For a similar situation with a disgruntled neighbor I need to relieve myself of my Speckled Sussex rooster. I hate to use him for dinner, he's so beautiful. But if it comes to that, what's cleanest way do the deed?

Quote:
Haha! tempted to agree!

Or, tell you neighbor he can come stay at my house for a few nights. Here's what I posted on somebody else's thread about this:
Quote:
Complaining about ONE rooster, ACRES away??! Losing 2 or 3 hours of sleep at night because of it! Ridiculous! I sympathize with wanting to keep the neighbors happy, believe me. But apparently some people just need something to complain about, and want to make their own neurotic problems your problems. With the kind of space you describe, on agricultural land no less, NOBODY has a right to complain about chickens IMO. Whatever happened to the joys of country living??

I feel your pain. Best of luck dealing with the situation...

Sorry, I double posted... by bad...
hmm.png

Last edited:
I must have ridiculously quiet roosters... My EE live under my deck and right outside the bedroom window, and I never hear him crow either at night, or during the day unless I'm outside. My Silkie roo is louder, but again, cannot hear him from indoors. But, I'm in the South, where everyone has AC and no windows are open... So I guess that drowns it out.

I know the OP started this post over a month ago, but I had to put in my two cents
big_smile.png

I live smack dab in the center of a foothill community. My "wonderful" hometown, that I have lived in for 40 years, implemented a chicken ordinance last year. 2 chickens allowed with a permit and NO roosters in city limits. That pretty much means NO roosters, anywhere, regardless of how much property you own. Well, my attitude about that is, the city council can kiss my behind. BUT, I still try to be courteous of my neighbors. I am on just under an acre, in an area that when I was growing up, had cows, chickens, turkeys, horses, peacocks, etc. Now, I have the only "farm" animals around, 9 hens and 2 roosters. I only have 4 neighbors within annoyance range (3 actually because one house has been vacant for 2 years). I used to have 3 roosters, but my sweet little Tullie (avatar pic) that I hatched from my own chickens, would crow ALL day VERY loudly, and I had to rehome him
hit.gif
. Him and his daddy would crow at night if the neighbors sensor light came on, or if a car drove by, or the moon was too bright, etc. I resorted to putting both of them in boxes in the shed (right next to the coop) and not letting them out until 8 am. That stopped the crowing at night, but the day time crowing was still annoying, to ME. The only complaint I have had about the roosters is when they wander too close to my neighbors house and my (now rehomed) rooster crowed. Our houses are about 20 ft apart. I now only let the chickens out in the "big" yard after 7 pm and that gives them about 1-1 1/2 hours to explore outside their run. If I know my neighbors are outside in the evening (like tonight) I don't let them out, and they stay at least 75 feet away, with our house as a buffer. So far, so good, no complaints. I think, at least for me, the sound of my roosters, and hens when they get going, is more annoying because they ARE mine, even in the daytime. Just like when dogs are barking, I listen to hear if it is my dogs, and if it isn't, I tune it out. I am way more sensitive to my animals noises because I am worried about annoying my neighbors. I always worry more in the spring and fall because I figure windows are open, but in the summer and winter, most people have their windows closed, at least during the day. I just think that working things out among ourselves instead of getting authorities involved, is always better. I just want to keep the "officials" out of my life and out of my business. I am glad the OP has a cooperative and understanding neighbor and was able to do just that
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom