My neighbor is complaining about my rooster :/

Pics
I'm glad it's working out with your neighbor. I'm not as good of a neighbor, I suppose, but I live in the country and must listen to all the neighbor's obnoxious noises, so figure tit for tat. I don't gripe about their noise and they needn't gripe about my roosters (mine aren't the only ones around, though, trust me).

Much of what I would be willing to do as a neighbor would be dependent on what type of area I lived in; where I live, it's completely rural, and I'm having my few roosters, no matter what the neighbors think. Not sure why the folks with chickens must always be the ones conceding if they are completely legal to have (as long as you don't have 50 roosters each chained to his own barrel, as some in this county do) It's going to get a bit noisier here, too, for awhile, since I have a few young roosters coming along as breeding stock.

My neighbor across from me(who rents from my uncle) has 2 yappy dogs. I bought a $10 box fan at walmart. Now I don't even wake myself up snoring!
tongue2.gif

From all of us that stand in the side of a roo freely crowing (because it's natural) to this who don't
What we are saying is it is OUR freedom as rooster owners to have them and what we are saying is this is the reason alot of our freedoms get taken away like merry Christmas now being happy holidays and not being able to put up a cross in the yard because it annoys someone else Here is what I did and I recommend everyone else to do it, call your county's code enforcement and ask if there is a noise violation against roosters crowing do ya know what mine said? No sir if the person is zoned for roosters then a rooster will be a rooster we can't stop that maybe try some ear plugs? Now I understand about keeping the peace with neighbors and we SHOULD DO OUR BEST but not at the expence of our own happiness or sanity and the loss of our rooster that we are ALLOWED TO HAVE. And we know there are people who think oh it's a dumb roo but we are the exception we love our Roos and I will not give any of mine up to appease a neighbor, idc if it the president

@ op I am thrilled that you have a great neighbor who is understanding and not just for you getting the roo to shut up so glad it's working out for you
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm so happy that your neighbor is such a nice guy, and is giving you a chance to reach a happy resolution together. It's a good thing neither he nor you have a massive sense of entitlement that comes along with an obnoxious neighbor.

Saying "to heck with you, it's zoned for me to make your life miserable, why don't you move?" is shockingly callous, and everything that is wrong with the worst that America has to offer. It's why other countries think that we are appallingly rude and nasty.

HOWEVER, two neighbors working together, being sane, and socially responsible and courteous with each other, like you are doing, is everything that has to do with the BEST that America has to offer.

Thanks for classing up the place
hugs.gif

Sounds like your neighbor really is a nice guy and is willing to flex a bit while you find a solution.
smile.png

bow.gif
The white noise machine is a brilliant idea... the cost of buying one for your neighbor would be so worth it... why did it take us 7 pages of posts to think of this?
idunno.gif

Hope it all works out for you, your family, your little roo-man AND your tired neighbor!
frow.gif

PS: It says a lot about you that you didn't post this topic in the PESTS forum!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I let my chickens out before taking the kids to school at 8am.Usually I keep them in till 9 or 10am,but it was already hot at 6am,and I had to shop after dropping the kids off .Ofcourse my roo crowed. I guess I will deal with AC or the police if someone reports me. I was all ready to rehome the roo,but I just could not do it. We like him too much.

Nice to read the OP's neighbor is tolerating the roo!

Quote:
What of the case of a man who moved into an area where roosters were allowed, and tethered out ONE HUNDRED game cocks? The noise was deafening. Fortunately for the neighbors, the judge disagreed about noise violations and limited the man to five cocks.

Just because something is legal doesn't make it right.

Quote:
I'm so happy that your neighbor is such a nice guy, and is giving you a chance to reach a happy resolution together. It's a good thing neither he nor you have a massive sense of entitlement that comes along with an obnoxious neighbor.

Saying "to heck with you, it's zoned for me to make your life miserable, why don't you move?" is shockingly callous, and everything that is wrong with the worst that America has to offer. It's why other countries think that we are appallingly rude and nasty.

HOWEVER, two neighbors working together, being sane, and socially responsible and courteous with each other, like you are doing, is everything that has to do with the BEST that America has to offer.

Thanks for classing up the place
hugs.gif

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
So if you lived somewhere and got a new neighbour with a yappy dog you would move? Just because of the dog? Before complaining about it? Whether or not the roo is legal or not it shouldn't be crowing at 2:30am, thats just rude.

Yes but the rooster does not know he is being rude. He is just being a rooster. I think is quite neighborly that an apology is offered. I just don't think that it is a requirement to bend over backwards for someone that obviously knows he lives in a neighborhood zoned for chickens

Quote:
I am SO flippin glad we aren't neighbors. You wanna know why I live where I do? (Besides how heavenly it is, because I truly love it, but that's not how we picked it) My husband has a job here that pays about $20,000 more (I know, right?!) a year than living in the city. We can actually afford to own a big chunk of land here, unlike in the suburbs. And I don't know how often you stay in them, but cities are NOISY. It's completely nonsense to suggest someone move to the land of car alarms, ghetto blasters, super close neighbors and constant traffic as an effort to get away from noise pollution. It's not unreasonable to live in the country and not have to listen to animals screeching all night; it would be if he were complaining about daytime noise, but he isn't! He may even like to hear the guy during the day, when there's a reasonable expectation to!

I have (rescued, "retired") hunting hounds, and one of my girls is the noisiest coonhound I have ever met, and that's saying something. I let her hoot and holler all day, but it annoys the crud out of me when she gets going at night, and I love her to death. I can easily understand though, how someone who doesn't love her and understand her history wouldn't be as sympathetic to the racket, because it IS an earful. I'd TOTALLY get it if they asked me to make her stop, even if I don't HAVE to do it.

I'd love to live in your utopia where you can find good paying jobs (especially in this economy!), affordable land, and really understanding neighbors anywhere you please, but part of being an understanding neighbor is working towards compromise, which telling someone to shove off isn't. I don't think ditching the rooster is the only option left, but the rooster is going to live a lot fewer years than this guy will be the neighbor, so keeping the peace and trying to keep him quiet is going to make life there long-term a lot easier, especially if it's as simple as put him in a dog crate or something.

I am just playing the devils advacate.... I am quite a nice guy. YOU would be happy to have me as a neighbor I assure you. I was just pointing out that there are people that don't think before they decide to live in a place where there is noise. I do agree with keeping the peace and all. I just wished that people would think before they make others feel bad for living in an area for their animals...Yes that doesn't mean that it isn't rude to have your animal waking others up. I think that we all agree that it is the peace between people that is important, however thinking before you commit to living somewhere would help.

Back
Top Bottom