My neighbor is complaining about my rooster :/

Pics
Quote:
So, if you and I were neighbors, and we lived next to each other in an area zoned for dogs and I got a little yappy dog (or better yet, two of them) and they barked every night at 2:30am and woke you up every night, it would be your problem and not mine. I wouldn't have to do what I need to do to keep the dogs quiet because our neighborhood is zoned for dogs. I wouldn't owe you an apology for the yapping and you should be expected to move to an area not zoned for dogs because you don't like being awakened in the middle of the night. I wouldn't have to apologize because you were stupid enough to move into an area zoned for dogs. Please tell me how this scenario would be any different from the OP's.

well put. letting any animal keep the neighbors up at 2 am is irresponsible and rude. angry neighbors can do mean things to said animals.

Quote:
So, if you and I were neighbors, and we lived next to each other in an area zoned for dogs and I got a little yappy dog (or better yet, two of them) and they barked every night at 2:30am and woke you up every night, it would be your problem and not mine. I wouldn't have to do what I need to do to keep the dogs quiet because our neighborhood is zoned for dogs. I wouldn't owe you an apology for the yapping and you should be expected to move to an area not zoned for dogs because you don't like being awakened in the middle of the night. I wouldn't have to apologize because you were stupid enough to move into an area zoned for dogs. Please tell me how this scenario would be any different from the OP's.

Ok we can "what if" this all day...and "if" chickens had machine guns there would be no predators....
The point is if you have something that bothers you ie Roos crowing, Jet noise, traffic noise or what ever. The smart thing for that person would be to avoid those types of areas..I would not buy a house in Florida because I don't like hurricanes. I wouldn't buy in Louisiana because a lot of it is below sea level, and don't like flooding, or Oklahoma because I don't care for the odd tornado every now and then....I think you get the point. If I was going to be your neighbor I probably wouldn't care if you had yappy dogs. I would have researched it and decided that if dogs would bother me, barking or otherwise I would not have chose to live there. To assume that you would owe me an apology for your dogs keeping me up is silly. Dogs will bark chicken roos will crow, and there is not much you can do about it. Sleep with earplugs or windows closed there are many different ways to deal with the problem other than complaining about it when you are the one that chose to live in a zoned area. Would it be a nice gesture to apologize and try to keep your animals quiet sure that would be great. Should I as your neighbor demand it from you when I was the dummy that moved next to you and you and your animals were there first.

There isn't an easy solution and obviously there are two sides, on one hand it is our responsibility to keep our own animals under control and neighbors have the right to complain when said animals become a nuisance. On the other hand, it is the country and sometimes you need to make concessions. I know we have a large paddock just north of our driveway that used to home a pretty little mare, now the horse is gone and the turd monkeys ride a dozen 4-wheelers daily making all kinds of noise and air pollution. I have as much right to complain as they have to use their land as they wish (zone permits assumed). (I also have the right to move to a larger plot of land and ensure no neighbors within a x mile radius.)

I agree that communication is the main priority. Explain that you ARE working on a solution and it may take some time. Most people are civil as long as they feel heard and understood. Meanwhile, try some of the suggestions that many members have given or re-home him if you can't spare the extra time or energy. I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time. And I certainly hope things have a peaceable solution where both parties are happy.
hugs.gif

Quote:
So if you lived somewhere and got a new neighbour with a yappy dog you would move? Just because of the dog? Before complaining about it? Whether or not the roo is legal or not it shouldn't be crowing at 2:30am, thats just rude.

Quote:
I am SO flippin glad we aren't neighbors. You wanna know why I live where I do? (Besides how heavenly it is, because I truly love it, but that's not how we picked it) My husband has a job here that pays about $20,000 more (I know, right?!) a year than living in the city. We can actually afford to own a big chunk of land here, unlike in the suburbs. And I don't know how often you stay in them, but cities are NOISY. It's completely nonsense to suggest someone move to the land of car alarms, ghetto blasters, super close neighbors and constant traffic as an effort to get away from noise pollution. It's not unreasonable to live in the country and not have to listen to animals screeching all night; it would be if he were complaining about daytime noise, but he isn't! He may even like to hear the guy during the day, when there's a reasonable expectation to!

I have fostered hunting hounds, and my girl is the noisiest coonhound I have ever met, and that's saying something. I let her hoot and holler all day, but it annoys the crud out of me when she gets going at night, and I love her to death. I can easily understand though, how someone who doesn't love her and understand her history wouldn't be as sympathetic to the racket, because it IS an earful. I'd TOTALLY get it if they asked me to make her stop, even if I don't HAVE to do it.

I'd love to live in your utopia where you can find good paying jobs (especially in this economy!), affordable land, and really understanding neighbors anywhere you please, but part of being an understanding neighbor is working towards compromise, which telling someone to shove off isn't. I don't think ditching the rooster is the only option left, but the rooster is going to live a lot fewer years than this guy will be the neighbor, so keeping the peace and trying to keep him quiet is going to make life there long-term a lot easier, especially if it's as simple as put him in a dog crate or something.

Last edited:
Quote:
So if you lived somewhere and got a new neighbour with a yappy dog you would move? Just because of the dog? Before complaining about it? Whether or not the roo is legal or not it shouldn't be crowing at 2:30am, thats just rude.

Tell that to the rooster. You cannot stop a rooster from crowing. Simple fact of life. Even my handicapped rooster who cannot stand up crows. Roosters crow in response to lights flashing into their windows (which, by the way, must be open in summer or they'll suffocate in GA heat), predators or humans prowling around, etc. They don't usually crow for absolutely no reason.

Quote:

Ok we can "what if" this all day...and "if" chickens had machine guns there would be no predators....
The point is if you have something that bothers you ie Roos crowing, Jet noise, traffic noise or what ever. The smart thing for that person would be to avoid those types of areas..I would not buy a house in Florida because I don't like hurricanes. I wouldn't buy in Louisiana because a lot of it is below sea level, and don't like flooding, or Oklahoma because I don't care for the odd tornado every now and then....I think you get the point. If I was going to be your neighbor I probably wouldn't care if you had yappy dogs. I would have researched it and decided that if dogs would bother me, barking or otherwise I would not have chose to live there. To assume that you would owe me an apology for your dogs keeping me up is silly. Dogs will bark chicken roos will crow, and there is not much you can do about it. Sleep with earplugs or windows closed there are many different ways to deal with the problem other than complaining about it when you are the one that chose to live in a zoned area. Would it be a nice gesture to apologize and try to keep your animals quiet sure that would be great. Should I as your neighbor demand it from you when I was the dummy that moved next to you and you and your animals were there first.

I'm not seeing where OP said they were there first. Or that the neighborhood has always been zoned that way. Whether you assumed it or not, I would feel as though I owed you an apology if my yappers did keep you up at night, because my animals disturbing you would be rude. I shouldn't expect you to make changes - buy earplugs or close your windows if you like sleeping with them open - because MY animals make noise. That's part of civilization - people trying to get along together. My main point was that courtesy between neighbors is important.

OP - I think you're wanting to be a good neighbor or you wouldn't have come on here asking for advice. I hope you can find a good solution so you can keep your roo and you and your neighbor can remain "neighborly". I've always said that there is a difference between having a neighbor and having someone who lives near you....

Quote:

Tell that to the rooster. You cannot stop a rooster from crowing. Simple fact of life. Even my handicapped rooster who cannot stand up crows.

Correct - but you can maybe do something to keep the crowing from bothering the neighbor - like putting it in a crate in the garage or something.

Back
Top Bottom