My neighbor is feeding my chickens potatoes -_-

Sobek

Songster
Aug 12, 2018
orlando florida
My neighbor is nice... a little crazy sometimes but we are on the same property and it's fenced. She started throwing food in the grass that's attracting animals and of course my chickens. I think she's throwing it in the grass for the chickens. She's told me about her problems and what not and I think she's just really lonely and sees the relationship/bond I have with the chickens and wants that too so she's trying to get them to like her or whatever but she's throwing them potatoes and other stuff I don't think they can eat? That's true right that they can't eat potatoes at all??? any advice on how to tell her because it's actually kind of awkward. But my chickens are the most important thing in my life so I need to make sure they're safe and healthy first

:hugs You could make her a list of things that's ok for them to eat, explain to her that they're on a strict diet due to their health :rolleyes: Or you could fence a section for them to grub in and away from your neighbor's reach :hmm Or get her her own chickens ;)

Explain to her the dangers of table scraps attracting predators for the chickens & humans, not sure what's in your area. You may want to update your profile with your location, makes it easier on the knowing your time zone & climate.

We throw them potatoes skins/peelings because our chicken run = our compost pile, they are smart enough not to eat them. The school of thought is the chicken won't eat anything that can harm chicken, unless it is starving.

:hugs You could make her a list of things that's ok for them to eat, explain to her that they're on a strict diet due to their health :rolleyes: Or you could fence a section for them to grub in and away from your neighbor's reach :hmm Or get her her own chickens ;)

Explain to her the dangers of table scraps attracting predators for the chickens & humans, not sure what's in your area. You may want to update your profile with your location, makes it easier on the knowing your time zone & climate.
:mad: oh my chickens got attacked twice. the second time I was on top of the situation and bursted out of my house like a tank! charging towards my chicken who was getting attacked

We throw them potatoes skins/peelings because our chicken run = our compost pile, they are smart enough not to eat them. The school of thought is the chicken won't eat anything that can harm chicken, unless it is starving.
my girls don't starve they actually eat quite a bit..... I'm not sure why they are always so hungry for chicken feed but they are very lean. They aren't very meaty and they lay some VERY large eggs often :l Maybe I wasn't feeding enough?? but idk maybe I just misjudged how much chickens need to eat. They're just so small idk

she even said maybe that's what was attracting the animals and she's still doing it :mad:

my girls don't starve they actually eat quite a bit..... I'm not sure why they are always so hungry for chicken feed but they are very lean. They aren't very meaty and they lay some VERY large eggs often :l Maybe I wasn't feeding enough?? but idk maybe I just misjudged how much chickens need to eat. They're just so small idk
that was my point. my bet they were eating "other stuff" she was throwing to them not raw potatoes/skins. Did you actually seen them eating potato skins?

PS: I was going to ask my neighbor if I could regularly pickup their green bin content to throw to the chickens. You have a neighbor that feeding them for free for you.

that was my point. my bet they were eating "other stuff" she was throwing to them not raw potatoes/skins. Did you actually seen them eating potato skins?
I actually only know there was potatoes because I started sorting through the mush and crap she was feeding them. I can't say they were specifically eating the potato skins but everything was sort of mixed together like pig slop :l so I'm not sure the chickens even KNOW there are potatoes in there

Back
Top Bottom