My neighbor won’t stop complaining

Pics
Aug 11, 2018
I have six hens, under the county limit. When they lay, they sing egg songs. Sometimes I can dissuade them with a little shouting or feed, but normally that’s what they do.

My neighbor is on me constantly to shut them up. She, I swear truth, videoed a recording of them claiming they were louder than a jet plane flying into the nearby airport. I asked her if she’d appreciate me videoing her dinner parties for sound. She denies she has any.

Anyway. The rule in our county is that ppl can make noise until 10 pm. Everyone puts up with others leaf blowes, construction noise, adolescent musical tries and so forth because there’s not a choice about it. And as my birds are legal, same situation.

She keeps insisting on more talking about it, and I think I am done, but she is just the biggest Karen ever.

Should I just ignore her from now on?

I have six hens, under the county limit. When they lay, they sing egg songs. Sometimes I can dissuade them with a little shouting or feed, but normally that’s what they do.

My neighbor is on me constantly to shut them up. She, I swear truth, videoed a recording of them claiming they were louder than a jet plane flying into the nearby airport. I asked her if she’d appreciate me videoing her dinner parties for sound. She denies she has any.

Anyway. The rule in our county is that ppl can make noise until 10 pm. Everyone puts up with others leaf blowes, construction noise, adolescent musical tries and so forth because there’s not a choice about it. And as my birds are legal, same situation.

She keeps insisting on more talking about it, and I think I am done, but she is just the biggest Karen ever.

If you are abiding within the bylaws for your area, then yes, ignore her. If she brings it up, politely remind her that you are doing so. Maybe put up a no trespassing sign if she's coming onto your property to check out the birds.

Frankly, if she's going to be a dink about it, I'd let her waste her time trying to convince the municipality that your birds are louder than jets.

I think feeding them to quiet them is a bad idea. My chickens complain louder if they think they will get treats so feeding them when they make noise might be conditioning them to make more noise. This lady sounds like she's been through a lot recently and isn't handling it well. For whatever reason, obsessing over your chickens is her new job. Have you tried befriending her? It's probably hard and she might be opposed but maybe just asking her how she is a few times will open a door to more meaningful conversation and you can find a resolution that way. If they didn't bother her before then something else is bothering her now and your chickens are just her excuse to let off steam or talk to someone or make herself feel useful. Maybe she just needs a cup of tea and someone to listen.

I would not engage with her. Go on about your business and ignore her behavior. Every time you react - feed them to shut them up, shake your rake, carry them around - she wins because you’re reacting to her behavior. Your chickens are legal, make sure your setup is within guidelines, and don’t worry about the rest. You’re not the one being a “bad neighbor” by keeping legal chickens. Let her do what she will, and people will see her for what she is. Don’t let her bring you down to her level.

Yep. When we bought the property, we had to sign an affidavit acknowledging that we live in a rural/ag area and we know we'll hear and smell ag related stuff.

We aren't in a city or an HOA area. That may be the difference.
I live in DEEP rural France and because all the “city dwellers” (French and foreign) have recently bought covid-escape-shelters aka holiday homes in the country side…villages have had to post signs with the same message warning of “heritage” agricultural noises AND smells. There are more cows than people here so we thought it would be sooooo quiet. My favorite part of the morning is at first light, when the donkeys bray, herds of cows collectively moo, two roosters dual from different ends of the lane, the giant goose honks, the flock of guineas do whatever it is that they do and there’s a cacophony of songbird chirps from the bushes by the window. ALL AT ONCE. And that is how my hens know it’s time to squawk and squeal and grumble for morning feed. It’s really a wonderful way to greet the day and my closest French neighbor thinks I’M the crazy one for trying to “shush” the eggs song when I notice they are trying to have a relaxing Sunday lunch on their terrace. I wouldn’t trade these noises for anything I used to hear in the States. Maybe your Karen needs a little vacation in rural France? I know a very nice farmer… ;)

Years ago a friend of mine was in a similar situation. Although it was legal to keep hens in her area, she checked with the surrounding neighbors to make sure no one would take issue. No one did. Months later, one of them filed a complaint with the health department (without ever speaking to her) that her coop was filthy and was causing rodent and odor problems. An inspector came out to find my friend's coop, run and yard immaculate. She had great rodent proof feeders and a deal with an urban farmer to take away soiled bedding so that it never piled up on the property. He gave her the blessing to carry on and that neighbor was cheesed! I know she is only complaining about the noise, but I would make sure you have every single base covered in case she decides to try to get even more petty.

Does she like eggs? Give her a few to shut her up. Lol. I personally would probably ignore her. She is feeding off the argument. You're doing nothing wrong. And your birds are probably more quiet after sun down than half the other neighbors. (Unless you have a rooster) Keep doing you.

Back
Top Bottom