My neighbors very persistent rooster! (Need help being diplomatic!)

Quote:
I dunno that I really *want* a rooster, tho. I just want to borrow the pretty one for long enough to get some fertile eggs and make a couple of my girls happy Mamas next spring. I sort of like not feeling like I need to rush out to the coop to shut the rooster up in the morning, kwim? Of course, the neighbors roosters still crow like mad, but they're not *my* problem, kwim? Plus, all 4 of my last roos got too big for their britches and had to go "down the road", so to speak. It was hard to let them go, even harder to get rid of them, and I dont really want to go through that again in the immediate future.

But- I dont think Mr B is going to do anything about his birds, either. They've had the run of the neighborhood since we moved in (in '06) and I cant imagine that nobody has ever complained about this, especially knowing how some of my other neighbors are. I guess I'm just gonna have to keep dealing with it until after the holidays and I have the $$$ for a taller fence. I watched the roo from the house today. He hopped up on a stump on the other side of the fence and flew over it. He made a bee-line to the run and started in with the wing dance routine, so I have no doubt that he's just trying to find a new harem.
roll.png

My girls wouldnt go with him, would they? Crap- I'm not going to be able to let them out until I get another fence put up, am I?

just be honest. say, "mister bee, get your stupid rooster off my lawn" but in a nice way. or fix the hole.
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Mr B's property runs perpendicular to the back of mine and my next door neighbors (and all of the others' on my side of the street). The hole in the fence is in my next door neighbors yard. I've got a fence between my yard & his and between my yard & Mr B's- so Mr B's birds are cutting through my next door neighbors yard to get to mine. The fence that goes along the back of the property line is actually Mr B's, but he doesnt do much upkeep on it (obviously). I've checked my section of it & have been keeping tabs on it- its pretty solid, tho I think I'm going to add a length of chicken wire or snow fencing to beef it up even more, JIC mr roo is squeezing through the gaps somehow (its the 6" galvanized st/st fencing)

I wonder if my next door neighbor would allow me fix the hole on his side? That would show him that I'm on board with the idea of keeping everyones' pets where they belong and take any negative thoughts he may have off me and my birds, kwim? Because I at least make the effort to keep my birds under control and on my own property.

But- yes, you're right. I'll need to call Mr B again. I'm fully expecting another early morning wake up call AND I had to kick his bird out of my coop again today before I could leave to take my son to the playground. I dont like not being able to let my girls free range when I'm home, and its starting to come to that.

SO... It looks like he's figured out another way in... OVER the 5' wire fence, via tree branches. The back 20' or so of my property is wooded & I just watched him fly up into a tree and jump down into the yard.

I've left Mr B a message, but I fear I'm becoming an annoying neighbor. *sigh* Yeah yeah... I know, he's the one not keeping his birds confined.

We're sure de-crowing doesnt work, right?
roll.png

Quote:
Due to this line I'm not sure what the problem is or what it is you'd like to do about it.

IF you just want to stop the current Romeo from coming into YOUR yard then you find the place Romeo has found to get in and mend the fence.

IF you are concerned about the other non chicken keeping neighbor AND Romeo coming to visit your girls then find both places of entry and mend those areas.

(how to mend the fencing? I just took some pieces of old wire fencing and clip the side wires so I could "weave" them into the existing fence. Piece of cake).

IF you are not willing to do any of these two then go over to visit Romeo's owner and explain the problem and see if HE/SHE can't fix the entry points that Romeo is using.

IF you are unwilling to do any of these things then I don't see it as a big problem and you are as you suspect a whiney neighbor and I might add discriminating against poor Romeo. You don't mind or wouldn't mind if Mr. blk, wht. rd and green , Brad Pitt came to call but not Dean, the Romeo, Martin.
gig.gif

Maybe your girls are just Hussies and tempting poor Romeo and it's really your problem to teach them to act like proper ladies.
lau.gif

I hope I offered a workable solution some where.
lol.png

Rancher

LOL!
I dont want ANY of the roosters to live here permanently. I just want to borrow the pretty one next spring long enough to get fertile eggs and then send him back home.

The problem with the fence is the hole isnt in my yard, but in the next door neighbors'. He gets through that fence, then cuts across the neighbors yard, and then uses the trees to get over MY fence. I just chased him out again. He flew over the 5' wire fence! I didnt realize they could do that because mine have never even tried (I guess they dont have the right motivation).

Yep. The only solution is to catch Mr Roo, hand deliver him back to his owner, and start discussing what needs to be done in person. My only real concern about his being here is that he'd decide my hens need to live with him... in HIS coop... and that they'd go. Also, I dont want him crowing in my back yard at 6am.

Back
Top Bottom